Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WELCOME! Introduce yourself here.....

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM
  • 48 Replies
  • 1018 Total Views

Thanks for joining the group. I'm Lily.

I have had hypothyroidism since 1998. I have had it under control since 3 years ago as I was not on any medication for it for years. I was first on Synthroid and then I thought I was fine and for a while didnt have insurance, but thought my levels were ok and they weren't. Since 2008 Ive been on Lisinopril and its been working fine. 

I have other health issues going on as well, recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and recently found out via an MRI Ive had a disc protrusion in my lower back for almost a year now and living with that constant pain. Til I lose weight nothing much they can really do. So Im working on losing weight via my mela plan with diabetes and getting back to 180 which is where I was years ago and was fine. 

Feel free to introduce yourself here and your experience with thyroid trouble or any other health issues you have. 

Let's support each other make a new friend or two! 

Again....Welcome to the group!!! 

by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BunnyBoo36
by on Oct. 19, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Hello I'm Denise,

I have had hyperthyroidism(2001) and now I have hypothyroidism(2010). I am currently taking synthriod. It has been a struggle with me as far as my weight is concern.  I also have hypertension (2005). I am taking meds for all. 

LilyPondOasis
by Lily -Group Owner on Oct. 19, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Hi Denise! Welcome to the group!

I've had hypothyroidism since 1998 but was off medication for years and in 2004 I was gaining weight, more in 2005. Got back on medication in 2006 and been on Synthroid as well. I have HBP and take Lisinopril for it. 

It is a struggle to get the right medication combo. I was gaining weight last year and finally this year I guess finding I am a Type 2 diabetic and contol my diabetes with diet only.....has helped me lost the weight.....so Im SLOWLY losing the weight but losing.

It's not fun with the weight gain or the hair loss from it! I shed alot of hair every day!

Thanks for joining the group! 

dqsmami06
by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 3:10 AM

Hi I'm Elizabeth, I'm 23 years old and I have Hyperthyroidism, Graves Disease. I have had it for 2 years since my son was born. My bones/breasts have been hurting every single day for 2 years. I've taken vitamins to help and they dont. I've been losing my hair, my eye sight has doubled as well. Its literally been hell. Alot of people arent aware of thyroid conditions and surely need to be.

Greatest Challenge Graphic

I'm a craft making, movie watching, makeup loving, camera happy, devoted wifey, sahm to two amazing little boys!

BunnyBoo36
by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 11:41 PM

I have been losing my hait too and wondered what was causing it other than stress. So my thyroids is a factor in my hair lost too. That is a good to know. Now I want have to stress so bad about why I am losing my hair....Thanks

Quoting LilyPondOasis:

I've had hypothyroidism since 1998 but was off medication for years and in 2004 I was gaining weight, more in 2005. Got back on medication in 2006 and been on Synthroid as well. I have HBP and take Lisinopril for it. 

It is a struggle to get the right medication combo. I was gaining weight last year and finally this year I guess finding I am a Type 2 diabetic and contol my diabetes with diet only.....has helped me lost the weight.....so Im SLOWLY losing the weight but losing.

It's not fun with the weight gain or the hair loss from it! I shed alot of hair every day!

BunnyBoo36
by on Oct. 20, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Thyroids are a big deal and it is hard to detect without the right person or doctor letting you know that your thyroids could be the cause of your aches and pain....My church administrator was the first person to know something was wrong with my thyroids because she had an aunt that was going through the same thing.

Quoting dqsmami06:

Hi I'm Elizabeth, I'm 23 years old and I have Hyperthyroidism, Graves Disease. I have had it for 2 years since my son was born. My bones/breasts have been hurting every single day for 2 years. I've taken vitamins to help and they dont. I've been losing my hair, my eye sight has doubled as well. Its literally been hell. Alot of people arent aware of thyroid conditions and surely need to be.

LilyPondOasis
by Lily -Group Owner on Oct. 21, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Here are a couple of links that explains the symptoms of both hyper thyroid and hypo thyroid issues.

http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/thyroid/hypothyroidism-too-little-thyroid-hormone

And hyperthyroidism:

http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/hyperthyroidism/hyperthyroidism-symptoms

They pretty much emulate the other and everyone is different with symptoms. It's tough to figure out which one you have unless a blood test confirms it. 

Quoting BunnyBoo36:

I have been losing my hait too and wondered what was causing it other than stress. So my thyroids is a factor in my hair lost too. That is a good to know. Now I want have to stress so bad about why I am losing my hair....Thanks

Quoting LilyPondOasis:

BunnyBoo36
by on Oct. 21, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Thank you

Quoting LilyPondOasis:

Here are a couple of links that explains the symptoms of both hyper thyroid and hypo thyroid issues.

http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/thyroid/hypothyroidism-too-little-thyroid-hormone

And hyperthyroidism:

http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/hyperthyroidism/hyperthyroidism-symptoms

They pretty much emulate the other and everyone is different with symptoms. It's tough to figure out which one you have unless a blood test confirms it. 

Quoting BunnyBoo36:

Quoting LilyPondOasis:

LilyPondOasis
by Lily -Group Owner on Nov. 4, 2011 at 3:05 PM

You are quite welcome Bunnyboo36.

It's something else to learn minor aches and pain along with irritability stems from our thyroid out of whack as I call it.

To tell you how naive I was, I did not know people can get thyroid cancer. It's a sad thing for sure. But hopefully with proper treatments, it can help that patient. 

Hope all works out and medication is helping regulate your thyroid troubles!

Take care!

LadyPink6908
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Hi, I'm Angel!  I had both Grave's disease, and Hashimoto's (I guessed they kept flip flopping throughout my life).  They didn't find out until after I miscarried my first baby, which caused my levels to look abnormal for the first time.  I went to an endocrinologist, and she removed my thyroid by having me drink radioactive iodine.  She was a horrible doctor though, and didn't put me on meds for months after she took my thyroid out, so I gained a ton of weight, and had to get a D&C for an extremely excessive period.  Finally, she put me on meds, but I couldn't get pregnant for almost 2 years, and she wouldn't accept that I might have a fertility disorder.  So, I went to Reproductive Endocrinologist, and got diagnosed with PCOS.  We did two fertility treatments, including an insemination, but they didn't work.  We took a break, and I continued to take my Synthroid and Metformin everyday.  Finally, the Metformin caused me to ovulate on my own, and we blessed with a healthy pregnancy!!  I am now in my second trimester, and everything is fine. 

LadyPink6908
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 9:26 AM

@ LilyPondOasis,

I lost a lot of hair right after I started the meds.  It was a horrible feeling, but eventually things leveled out, and the hair loss stopped.  I got a really short, cute stack haircut to help myself feel better about my hair falling out, and all the weight I had gained. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)