Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hashi's-- which med works best for you?

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 345 Total Views

I've been on synthroid several years and I suffer from symptoms daily, feels like the synthroid does nothing. My endo (who is supposedly best in town) only tests my TSH and refuses to do any other tests. I'm currently looking for a new doctor. : ) I'm curious which meds those who have had success alleviating symptoms are using. I'm so desperate for relief at this point!

Charles Darwin Has A Posse

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LilyPondOasis
by Lily -Group Owner on Sep. 22, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Welcome to the group!!! I'm Lily.

I am on Levothyroxine and have been for years.

I was on synthroid years ago after diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and within 6 months lost the weight I had gained! 

Not this go round! I was not on any meds for years and kept the weight off and then I gained it all back again -- and SLOWER than molasses in quicksand losing this damn weight! I hate it!

I am to see a ENDO or ENT Doc cause something has been causing these symptoms since July where I am so tired and can sleep all day -- though I dont every day but I am so fatigued and feel sick and headachey. 

My Hematologist tested me for everything but that -- I dont have Leukemia like I first thought and Im glad of that but she says while its not her field of expertise, blood cancers are, she felt my thyroid could be enlarged and a change in medication may help.

I will say this though -- a friend of mine is hyper and she says she uses vitamin supplements, the B12 and B6 and a few others to help boost her energy. 

I need to try that route soon as well. I sure hope you find some relief.

Hopefully some one else will have something better to try.

Thanks for your post!

catiemac
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I take Levoxyl, which is another brand of levothyroxine.  It's gluten-free whereas Synthroid does not indicate whether thiers is or not.  It seems to be working well for me!

monkeyrhea
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I am on levothyroxine and have been since I was first diagnosed. I was still having symptoms for a while and my PCP sent me to an endo who agreed to up my dose  even though my levels were normal. Turns out MY normal TSH is around 1.4 rather than a typical 2.  It could just be that you haven't found your normal yet.

PinkButterfly66
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Synthcrap SUCKS!  You really should switch to desiccated thyroid aka Armour.  I've been taking Canadian's Thyroid by Erfa since the desiccated thyroid shortage in the US a few years ago.  You should also be on iodine and selenium to help supress the antibodies.  A lot of hashi's people find going gluten free really helpful.   A couple of sites to check out:  http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com Check out the link on recommended labwork.  Being low in ferritin and b12 can make symptoms worse.  Also, for the iodine info.  Check out Stephanie Buiste's website:  http://www.naturalthyroidchoices.com/.  Stephanie is a thyroid cancer survivor as well as a patient of Dr. David Brownstein. Dr. David Brownstein is one of the top iodine researchers in the US.  She credits Dr. Brownstein for saving her life.  She is now a naturalpath and iodine advocate. Another good site on iodine, the protocol and companion supplements is http://breastcancerchoices.org/iodineindex.html.  Then the iodine supplementation group on curezone is another good resource.  These people have been pushing the envelope on iodine supplementation and experimenting on themselves with really good results.  A lot of experience in that group and a good source for support. http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=815

I don't have hasimotos, but it does run in my family.  My mother, sister and younger brother all have it.  My mother and brother are on Canadian's Thyroid by Erfa.  We get it from Universial Drugstore.  You can have your doctor call in the script or you can fax or email the script to them. They are wonderful people to work with.  I usually get my meds within 7-10 days of shipping, but my mom has had hers held up in customs for about 21 days.  They recommend getting at least a 3 months (I get 6 months) supply and re-order when you start your 2nd month so you don't run out.

http://www.universaldrugstore.com/medications/ERFA%20THYROID 

ERFA is like the old Armour before it was reformulated.  It can be taken sublingually (dissolved in the mouth) and by pass the digestive system so you don't have to time it around calcium based foods or supplements.

LilyPondOasis
by Lily -Group Owner on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Of course always check with your health care professional and ask them.

I am not a nurse and its nice to have other options out there as there are a few and what may work for one person may not work for another.

Some of the OTC's people are allergic to -- so its advisable to check with a Doctor first and not just try something off the shelf so they can monitor you. 

My sister and I have the same issue but while she can take certain meds, I am allergic to them. 

melinda27819
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Canada's Efra Thyroid meds work best for me. It is the natural thyroid hormones, just like Armour thyroid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN