Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coconut oil for thyroid health

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 317 Total Views

I've been doing a lot of research on this...and many claim that taking 1-3 Tbsp. of coconut oil a day can GREATLY help, if not restore, thyroid function and health. 

Has anyone tried this personally? 

by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilyPondOasis
by Lily -Group Owner on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I've not tried that but I will be visiting my main Doc soon as Ive been feeling like crap lately.

I saw a hematologist when my WBC was up to 15 but its back to 10 and normal and she suggested seeing the ENT or a Endo Doc as my thyroid could be enlarged and I may need to change tghe dosage. She did not check my thyroid levels -- she checked everything else! No cancer thank God but Ive not had a scan in 15 yrs -- so maybe.

Keep us posted on how this works for you. I will have to check into that. 

Good luck! 

Sunshine201
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM

haven't been on in awhile.... but i use coconut oil often and it has had zero effect on my thyroid. just had meds higher-ed again......

Meg_the_Mermaid
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate the thought of having to be on meds for the rest of my life. Bummed that nothing natural will help me. It worries me too...what if something terrible should happen (like a big earthquake or some other huge catastrophe) and I couldn't get more medication? That scares me. I just wish there was something natural that could help us! 

kaitybird
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I am going to put my 2 pennies in!  Have you thought about reading Jillian Michael's book Mastering your Metabolism?  My thyroid is and has been out of whack for many years.  The dr that I just recently saw is letting me do it all on my own.  This means reading and changing your way of life.  I am not one to be on meds especially synthryoid it made me very mean and did nothing for me.  I did bioidenticals and saw no results really.  Now I am in the process of changing everything from the daily health and beauty items to all the food that we eat.  It won't work for everyone but it is worth a try.  

I didn't realize that so many things affect our everyday lives and the function of the thyroid.

I didn't know about the coconut oil but recently got a huge container as we are in the process of changing everything and getting the family on board was important also not just for me but for long term health of all of us.  :)

Good luck to you.

Meg_the_Mermaid
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I would desperately love to change my entire lifestyle and live extremely healthy and natural. I already am much healthier and more natural than most people I know. But unfortunately, I just can't afford it. I have very few things I can even give up to generate more money to live healthier (I could give up internet, but I have already given up everything else...including new clothes, cable, and even a car. I am living way below most American's ideals). I'm a single mom who can't even afford to live on my own and I am also trying to figure out how to go to college, find a decent job, and live on my own in a decent area (not the ghetto). I haven't figured out how to do any of that yet! Um, I'm getting off track, but I wanted to give an idea of how broke I really am, lol. But yes, I wish I had the money to be able to live in the way I want and know I NEED to live. I do what I can with what I have though! I've been living as healthy as I feel I can for years though...I've always been drawn towards the more natural side of things. 

Maybe someday, after I go to college and find a good job, then I will possibly be able to afford to live even healthier. =)

Quoting kaitybird:

I am going to put my 2 pennies in!  Have you thought about reading Jillian Michael's book Mastering your Metabolism?  My thyroid is and has been out of whack for many years.  The dr that I just recently saw is letting me do it all on my own.  This means reading and changing your way of life.  I am not one to be on meds especially synthryoid it made me very mean and did nothing for me.  I did bioidenticals and saw no results really.  Now I am in the process of changing everything from the daily health and beauty items to all the food that we eat.  It won't work for everyone but it is worth a try.  

I didn't realize that so many things affect our everyday lives and the function of the thyroid.

I didn't know about the coconut oil but recently got a huge container as we are in the process of changing everything and getting the family on board was important also not just for me but for long term health of all of us.  :)

Good luck to you.

mcarsel89
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM

This isn't on the topic of coconut oil, but are you aware of the single mother grant towards tuition and books? I think it's like at least $5000 a year. That would cover 2 semesters of full time at most community colleges and I believe it goes as long as you need it or until you have a bachelor's and are a single mom. My sister gets it and she often times has money left over and she gets that in a check. You don't pay any of the $5000 back, but you will eventually if you take out subsidized or unsubsidized loans. I just thought maybe you didn't know and I'd be helpful :) lol

Quoting Meg_the_Mermaid:

I would desperately love to change my entire lifestyle and live extremely healthy and natural. I already am much healthier and more natural than most people I know. But unfortunately, I just can't afford it. I have very few things I can even give up to generate more money to live healthier (I could give up internet, but I have already given up everything else...including new clothes, cable, and even a car. I am living way below most American's ideals). I'm a single mom who can't even afford to live on my own and I am also trying to figure out how to go to college, find a decent job, and live on my own in a decent area (not the ghetto). I haven't figured out how to do any of that yet! Um, I'm getting off track, but I wanted to give an idea of how broke I really am, lol. But yes, I wish I had the money to be able to live in the way I want and know I NEED to live. I do what I can with what I have though! I've been living as healthy as I feel I can for years though...I've always been drawn towards the more natural side of things. 

Maybe someday, after I go to college and find a good job, then I will possibly be able to afford to live even healthier. =)

Quoting kaitybird:

Good luck to you.

Meg_the_Mermaid
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I don't know if it would apply to me, since I am still living in the home of my stbx. We're separated, but I have nowhere else to go, so my daughter and I stay here for now. The only other place I have considered going to is my parents' house (but my mother is abusive and has mental illness that she doesn't take care of). Sooo...perhaps if I end up over there, I can apply for that grant. But otherwise, I don't think they'd give it to me. I suppose I should look into it though....

Quoting mcarsel89:

This isn't on the topic of coconut oil, but are you aware of the single mother grant towards tuition and books? I think it's like at least $5000 a year. That would cover 2 semesters of full time at most community colleges and I believe it goes as long as you need it or until you have a bachelor's and are a single mom. My sister gets it and she often times has money left over and she gets that in a check. You don't pay any of the $5000 back, but you will eventually if you take out subsidized or unsubsidized loans. I just thought maybe you didn't know and I'd be helpful :) lol

Quoting Meg_the_Mermaid:

Quoting kaitybird:

Good luck to you.

mcarsel89
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:02 PM

So are you divorced or separated from a bf? sorry idk what stbx means. my sister has a live in bf and she still qualifies. it'd be worth looking into. Nursing is an excellent career and takes 2 years to be an RN. I know some that work 3 12 hour days a week and bring in almost $5000. depends on where you live though. Also if there is nursing shortages, a lot of hospitals will pay for your school for a promise to work for a certain amount of time. Plus, most community colleges give out scholarships like candy. I had terrible grades in high school and got a full ride. sorry for typos, feeding baby.

Quoting Meg_the_Mermaid:

I don't know if it would apply to me, since I am still living in the home of my stbx. We're separated, but I have nowhere else to go, so my daughter and I stay here for now. The only other place I have considered going to is my parents' house (but my mother is abusive and has mental illness that she doesn't take care of). Sooo...perhaps if I end up over there, I can apply for that grant. But otherwise, I don't think they'd give it to me. I suppose I should look into it though....

Quoting mcarsel89:

Quoting Meg_the_Mermaid:

Quoting kaitybird:

Good luck to you.

Meg_the_Mermaid
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Sorry, I forget that not everyone knows all the abbreviations. STBX = Soon To Be eX. I'm married still...I have a husband. But we're separated. We live together for the time being. All I know is that because we still live together, I am not eligible at all for any kind of state/county financial aid and I obviously can't get child support (if I were to leave here, I could get all that, but I can't afford to live on my own right now and I have nowhere else to go). If they take my husband's income into consideration because we are still living together, I don't know if I'd qualify. He makes too much money for any kind of financial assistance. 

I personally couldn't do actual nursing. I really want to go back to college to become and OTA (occupational therapist assistant)...but I am having some intense health issues right now and undergoing a bunch of tests to figure out what's wrong. I may not be able to do the work of an OTA. =(  So I am waiting until all this testing and health stuff is figured out before starting anything to do with college. 

Quoting mcarsel89:

So are you divorced or separated from a bf? sorry idk what stbx means. my sister has a live in bf and she still qualifies. it'd be worth looking into. Nursing is an excellent career and takes 2 years to be an RN. I know some that work 3 12 hour days a week and bring in almost $5000. depends on where you live though. Also if there is nursing shortages, a lot of hospitals will pay for your school for a promise to work for a certain amount of time. Plus, most community colleges give out scholarships like candy. I had terrible grades in high school and got a full ride. sorry for typos, feeding baby.

Quoting Meg_the_Mermaid:

Quoting mcarsel89:

Quoting Meg_the_Mermaid:

Quoting kaitybird:

Good luck to you.

mcarsel89
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM

You're right, you wouldn't qualify :( Oh well, when the time comes it will be right. I am trying to get my health worked out too. I took my first semester off in 6 years to stay home with my baby. I am going back in the summer for graduate classes though. I hope to get my health crap worked out and over with! I hope you get your's figured out soon too!

Quoting Meg_the_Mermaid:

Sorry, I forget that not everyone knows all the abbreviations. STBX = Soon To Be eX. I'm married still...I have a husband. But we're separated. We live together for the time being. All I know is that because we still live together, I am not eligible at all for any kind of state/county financial aid and I obviously can't get child support (if I were to leave here, I could get all that, but I can't afford to live on my own right now and I have nowhere else to go). If they take my husband's income into consideration because we are still living together, I don't know if I'd qualify. He makes too much money for any kind of financial assistance. 

I personally couldn't do actual nursing. I really want to go back to college to become and OTA (occupational therapist assistant)...but I am having some intense health issues right now and undergoing a bunch of tests to figure out what's wrong. I may not be able to do the work of an OTA. =(  So I am waiting until all this testing and health stuff is figured out before starting anything to do with college. 

Quoting mcarsel89:

Quoting Meg_the_Mermaid:

Quoting mcarsel89:

Quoting Meg_the_Mermaid:

Quoting kaitybird:

Good luck to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)