Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gluten Free

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 245 Total Views

Has anyone here gone gluten free? Did it help with symptoms? I have read here and there that people with Hashimoto's tend to have a gluten intolerance. I'm thinking of giving it a go, but I think I would have to make 2 seperate meals most days. I don't think it would be fair to basically turn our eating habits upside down on everyone else just because I am experimenting.

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LilyPondOasis
by Lily -Group Owner on Nov. 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I have read that a few people do benefit from being gluten-free. You can try it to see how it works for you, and like you say its not fair to turn everyone's eating habits around but maybe incorporate things slowly, but not all the way to see how you do.

Good luck! 

surfsidecp
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Gluten can have unpredictable affects on anyone based on how much is eaten and overall nutrition.  Eating whole foods, a plant-based diet that is limited in processed foods (especially processed carbs and sugars) will help thyroid issues, gluten intolerances and future health issues (ie the family should be part of the change, too).  These health issues along with adrenal fatigue, diabetes, heart disease, allergies and intolerances, digestive issues, etc. are all nutrition-related. 

catiemac
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I actually found out that I have Celiac Disease, in addition to Hashimoto's.  (It was diagnosed through labs and then an endoscopy).  My thyroid was pretty managable before being diagnosed with Celiac.  Since going gluten-free I have been feeling pretty well. 

As a side note.... the makers Synthroid cannot say whether it is gluten-free or not.  Levoxyl IS gluten free though :) 

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I've been thinking about it. I'm still pretty hypo, even with medication. I heard it is mainly for hashimoto's that you get the benefits, but wouldn't be harmful IMO. It might be a miracle for you and help with weight loss or help with not gaining too.

LaceMom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Ive been gluten free for three years now.  I am hypothyroid.  I just have so many digestive issues, I decided to try gluten free to help with that a little.  It did help my stomach issues a little bit.  I don't know how much difference it made in my hypo symptoms though.  Its worth a try.  The first few weeks were hard, but after that it became pretty easy.

Nicole1357
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I've just recently started becoming more aware of what I eat and whether it contains gluten or not. Not sure if it's going to make any difference. 

StephanieSH
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I acturally think that I have problems tolerating things high in gluten and am trying to eliminate them from my diet. I mentioned gluten to my endocrinologist and he rolled his eyes at me.  I only mentioned it because my dermatologists have said that a chronic rash I have looks like it could be related to gluten intake.  I think so many people hop on the gluten-free bandwagon as a fad that a lot of doctors dismiss it when brought up which is frustrating.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)