Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hypothyroid and gluten?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:16 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 171 Total Views

does anyone have any experience of gluten affecting their thyroid? I am nursing and having hypothyroidism has affected my milk supply, i'm taking thyroid meds but i think gluten has been blocking absorbtion. i stopped eating it and my supply has gone up slightly, it hasnt even been a week yet. but i was wondering if anyone has had this experience and how long after stopping gluten did it take for your thyroid levels to go back up? i did increase my thyroid meds slightly but im thinking about asking the doctor to increase it more.

my T4 is perfect but my TSH is low

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Homeschoolmom99
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Do you have Graves? Ask your Endro if it is working I say keep going.

I have a combo of Graves/Hashimottos since I had my radiaton therapy last year

LucyHourglass
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:39 PM

idk, i thought graves causes hyperthyroid? I do think i have celiac disease because my mother does.

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

Do you have Graves? Ask your Endro if it is working I say keep going.

I have a combo of Graves/Hashimottos since I had my radiaton therapy last year

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

if your tsh is low, you're hypER not hypO. 

LucyHourglass
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM

but i was told i was hypo? i have hypo symptoms, not hyper symptoms...

trouble losing weight

cold easily

dry skin oily hair

lethargic

Quoting AmyL3469:

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:23 PM

well then your tsh was high. Higher tsh = low thyroid hormone. Low tsh = high thyroid hormone. It's confusing at first lol.  Dry skin is a sign of hypo? I never knew that, sure explains why I am so dry lately. Those are all symptoms of hypo. I think maybe your blood work wasn't explained correctly or something.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

trouble losing weight

cold easily

dry skin oily hair

lethargic

Quoting AmyL3469:

LucyHourglass
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:28 PM

it was 0.01 but then it said on the labwork something to adjust it to 1.1 ..does that make sense? i cant find ti right now, im looking for it... 

and then it says my free T4 was 0.08 I believe

Quoting AmyL3469:

well then your tsh was high. Higher tsh = low thyroid hormone. Low tsh = high thyroid hormone. It's confusing at first lol.  Dry skin is a sign of hypo? I never knew that, sure explains why I am so dry lately. Those are all symptoms of hypo. I think maybe your blood work wasn't explained correctly or something.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

trouble losing weight

cold easily

dry skin oily hair

lethargic

Quoting AmyL3469:

LucyHourglass
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:31 PM

my thyroid was upped after that, and i have felt SO MUCH BETTER i was still having hypo symptoms, if i was hyper i would be agitated right? I have been very calm since upping it.

I was slighty irritable and depressed and laying in bed all day on the lower dose, now i have more energy.

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

trouble losing weight

cold easily

dry skin oily hair

lethargic

Quoting AmyL3469:

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM

that makes NO sense that they'd label you hypo for 0.01 and adjust to 1.1. 

Quoting LucyHourglass:

it was 0.01 but then it said on the labwork something to adjust it to 1.1 ..does that make sense? i cant find ti right now, im looking for it... 

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

trouble losing weight

cold easily

dry skin oily hair

lethargic

Quoting AmyL3469:

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

LucyHourglass
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Let me put the baby to bed and find the paper so ic an tell you exactly what it says. im very confused. if i was hyper on the higher dose i would be irritable and hyper tho, wouldnt i ? i am very calm.

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

trouble losing weight

cold easily

dry skin oily hair

lethargic

Quoting AmyL3469:

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM

everyone is different. It's hard to tell. I get shaky as hypo and that's usually a sign of hyper. I'm still hypo even after a year and half of medication and blood checks. Hormones are a screwy thing to say the least lol. 

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Let me put the baby to bed and find the paper so ic an tell you exactly what it says. im very confused. if i was hyper on the higher dose i would be irritable and hyper tho, wouldnt i ? i am very calm.

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

trouble losing weight

cold easily

dry skin oily hair

lethargic

Quoting AmyL3469:

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)