Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does anyone have any experience of gluten affecting their thyroid? I am nursing and having hypothyroidism has affected my milk supply, i'm taking thyroid meds but i think gluten has been blocking absorbtion. i stopped eating it and my supply has gone up slightly, it hasnt even been a week yet. but i was wondering if anyone has had this experience and how long after stopping gluten did it take for your thyroid levels to go back up? i did increase my thyroid meds slightly but im thinking about asking the doctor to increase it more.

my T4 is perfect but my TSH is low

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Replies (11-15):
LucyHourglass
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:50 PM

im breastfeeding so i am really worried about this screwing with my milk supply..and my baby.. i have medi-cal and im afraid im not seeing the most competant doctors... I get where my thyroid gland looks swollen, i have all the hypo symptoms, and when i was pregnant they told me my thyroid was low. ugh. :(

Quoting AmyL3469:

everyone is different. It's hard to tell. I get shaky as hypo and that's usually a sign of hyper. I'm still hypo even after a year and half of medication and blood checks. Hormones are a screwy thing to say the least lol. 

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Let me put the baby to bed and find the paper so ic an tell you exactly what it says. im very confused. if i was hyper on the higher dose i would be irritable and hyper tho, wouldnt i ? i am very calm.

Quoting AmyL3469:

that makes NO sense that they'd label you hypo for 0.01 and adjust to 1.1. 

Quoting LucyHourglass:

it was 0.01 but then it said on the labwork something to adjust it to 1.1 ..does that make sense? i cant find ti right now, im looking for it... 

and then it says my free T4 was 0.08 I believe

Quoting AmyL3469:

well then your tsh was high. Higher tsh = low thyroid hormone. Low tsh = high thyroid hormone. It's confusing at first lol.  Dry skin is a sign of hypo? I never knew that, sure explains why I am so dry lately. Those are all symptoms of hypo. I think maybe your blood work wasn't explained correctly or something.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

but i was told i was hypo? i have hypo symptoms, not hyper symptoms...

trouble losing weight

cold easily

dry skin oily hair

lethargic

Quoting AmyL3469:

if your tsh is low, you're hypER not hypO. 

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Maybe now that you're not pregnant, it's fine again. Pregnancy messes iwth your thyroid. I had to up my dose to nearly double what I was on pre-pregnancy. My main docs are dumb too, I go to a completely different hospital for my OB care. My primary refuses to see me anymore since I'm pregnant, it's ridiculous.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

im breastfeeding so i am really worried about this screwing with my milk supply..and my baby.. i have medi-cal and im afraid im not seeing the most competant doctors... I get where my thyroid gland looks swollen, i have all the hypo symptoms, and when i was pregnant they told me my thyroid was low. ugh. :(

Quoting AmyL3469:

everyone is different. It's hard to tell. I get shaky as hypo and that's usually a sign of hyper. I'm still hypo even after a year and half of medication and blood checks. Hormones are a screwy thing to say the least lol. 

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Let me put the baby to bed and find the paper so ic an tell you exactly what it says. im very confused. if i was hyper on the higher dose i would be irritable and hyper tho, wouldnt i ? i am very calm.

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

it was 0.01 but then it said on the labwork something to adjust it to 1.1 ..does that make sense? i cant find ti right now, im looking for it... 

Quoting AmyL3469:

well then your tsh was high. Higher tsh = low thyroid hormone. Low tsh = high thyroid hormone. It's confusing at first lol.  Dry skin is a sign of hypo? I never knew that, sure explains why I am so dry lately. Those are all symptoms of hypo. I think maybe your blood work wasn't explained correctly or something.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

trouble losing weight

cold easily

dry skin oily hair

lethargic

Quoting AmyL3469:

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

LucyHourglass
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM

ok so ...

this kinda makes me want to cry, but my babe  has not been doing the greatest, he is having trouble gaining weight.. i had them test his thyroid because i was worried about him being hyper and they told me he wasnt that he was in normal range, and then now the upped my thyroid.. would it be a bad idea to skip my thyroid tomorrow to see if it makes a difference? i dont have a good doc i can see. they dont know what they are doing abd im worried about my son.

Quoting AmyL3469:

Maybe now that you're not pregnant, it's fine again. Pregnancy messes iwth your thyroid. I had to up my dose to nearly double what I was on pre-pregnancy. My main docs are dumb too, I go to a completely different hospital for my OB care. My primary refuses to see me anymore since I'm pregnant, it's ridiculous.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

trouble losing weight

cold easily

dry skin oily hair

lethargic

Quoting AmyL3469:

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I wouldn't skip.. but you can always call and change your primary doctor if you don't like the one you have. Have you seen an endocrinologist about this? 

Quoting LucyHourglass:

ok so ...

this kinda makes me want to cry, but my babe  has not been doing the greatest, he is having trouble gaining weight.. i had them test his thyroid because i was worried about him being hyper and they told me he wasnt that he was in normal range, and then now the upped my thyroid.. would it be a bad idea to skip my thyroid tomorrow to see if it makes a difference? i dont have a good doc i can see. they dont know what they are doing abd im worried about my son.

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

trouble losing weight

cold easily

dry skin oily hair

lethargic

Quoting AmyL3469:

CafeMom Tickers

LucyHourglass
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM

no they are giving  me hell with docs because im under 21... they want me to see a pedi for some reason, i know wtf? 

then they never approve any refferals for me.. its ridiculous. im trying to get them to switch me, the assigned me to some doctor at choc an hour away that i have never seen, ive been going to urgent care, but ive been on thyroid fir years and so i didnt think there was an issue with it being the wrong dose

Quoting AmyL3469:

I wouldn't skip.. but you can always call and change your primary doctor if you don't like the one you have. Have you seen an endocrinologist about this? 

Quoting LucyHourglass:

ok so ...

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Quoting AmyL3469:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

trouble losing weight

cold easily

dry skin oily hair

lethargic

Quoting AmyL3469:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)