Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm hypo, but my levels are now indicating hyper?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 143 Total Views

I've been having bad health issues since the end of November and it's been on-going since then. Actually, these are the same symptoms I have every year (at least a couple times a year) for the past 4 or 5 years and are believed to be fibromyalgia flares, but recently my doc said she believed I may have MS and was about to give me a referral for a neurologist...but then I asked her to test my blood one more time and so she did. 

In early January, I had my bloodwork done and TSH levels showed that everything was fine. I continued to have my health issues and so I went back last week (end of January) to talk to my doc about this...she tested my blood again, this time for all kinds of things. I called to ask about the results today and apparently my TSH levels are going the OPPOSITE direction and so my doc is lowering my thyroid medication. Then she wants to see me again in 6 weeks to test again. She wants me to hold off on seeing the neurologist and getting the MRI until we see if there's any change in my symptoms due to the change in medication. 

I'm just confused by all this. I do have a couple of the symptoms that would indicate hyperthyroid activity...but then other symptoms suggest my usual hypo. Has this ever happened to anyone? 

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
melinda27819
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM

You may have Hashimotos, it is an autoimmune disease that affects your thyroid. Having to low of thyoid hormones will make you feel like you have Fibomalgia. I went through the same thing you are. I found that by switching to the natural thyroid meds the Fibro syptoms went away within 3 days. I ended up finding out my body was having problems making the converson for T4 & T3 your body naturally has T4, T3, T2, and T1, natural meds also have this, The synthetic drugs do not. Ask doctor to check for Hashimotos. With this disease your thyroid hormones will be normal for a month, the next month it can be hyper, next month hypo.  It does sound like you have Hashimotos. Look it up on web to get more info to aid you with when you ask your Dr., if they are not willing to listen, get a second opinion.

Meg_the_Mermaid
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Thanks for responding. 

I was checked for Hashimoto's about 4 years ago and I didn't have it at that time, but I know it can be developed any time. I did ask my doctor about it, and she said she'd check that when I come back in 5 weeks for more bloodwork. My mom, both aunts, grandma, and lots of other people in my family have Hashimoto thyroid disease, so it wouldn't be a shock if I did have it. What sucks for me is that I can't afford the "good medication"...the name brand or the natural stuff. I'm a single mom who is barely holding my head above water as it is...the generic is $4 and that's just about all I can afford (especially with my other medications I need. They're all generic because I can't afford the better stuff). 

My doc is more concerned about my other issues going on right now...she believes I may have MS and that's why she's referring me to a neurologist for more testing on all that. She said that thyroid issues can mimic all kinds of other diseases, but there are specific symptoms I'm having that suggest it may not solely be my thyroid. 

Quoting melinda27819:

You may have Hashimotos, it is an autoimmune disease that affects your thyroid. Having to low of thyoid hormones will make you feel like you have Fibomalgia. I went through the same thing you are. I found that by switching to the natural thyroid meds the Fibro syptoms went away within 3 days. I ended up finding out my body was having problems making the converson for T4 & T3 your body naturally has T4, T3, T2, and T1, natural meds also have this, The synthetic drugs do not. Ask doctor to check for Hashimotos. With this disease your thyroid hormones will be normal for a month, the next month it can be hyper, next month hypo.  It does sound like you have Hashimotos. Look it up on web to get more info to aid you with when you ask your Dr., if they are not willing to listen, get a second opinion.

Homeschoolmom99
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Have you had an ultrasound on your thyroid? Sounds like you may have GRAVES. I found out I had a small goiter two years ago and had it removed via radiation pill the whole thyroid and now take replacement thyroid

Meg_the_Mermaid
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I did have an ultrasound on my thyroid, about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago (definitely wasn't over 2 years ago). Everything looked fine and clear at that time. At the time I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (which was about 4 years ago), my then-doctor tested me for Hashimoto's and Grave's and decided that I didn't have either. My mom, both aunts, and Grandma all have/had Hashimoto's...and since I have been informed that it's highly genetic, I would assume that may be what's going on with me as well. I did just recently read that a person can have both Hashimoto's and Grave's antibodies at the same time. Not sure how any of this works, but when I go back to my general doc in 2-3 weeks for more bloodwork, she said she will check me for Hashimoto's and Grave's. She has mentioned possibly having my thyroid removed if it won't stay stable. 

As it is, I'm SERIOUSLY wondering if my flares that I get multiple times a year are caused by my thyroid? Even though I get my thyroid checked every time and it always comes back stable/normal. My doctor said she highly doubts my thyroid is causing all these issues and she believes that these flares are either my Fibro flaring up or MS (I have an appt with a neurologist in a week and a half). In the meantime, I found out I have gall bladder disease and gallstones that are acting up and my doc now wants that ripped out as soon as possible. Ugh! 

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

Have you had an ultrasound on your thyroid? Sounds like you may have GRAVES. I found out I had a small goiter two years ago and had it removed via radiation pill the whole thyroid and now take replacement thyroid

Homeschoolmom99
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I would ask for another Dr I have been scared with fibro and MS and have neither! Remember Graves and Hashimoto's have remission times so get retested

Quoting Meg_the_Mermaid:

I did have an ultrasound on my thyroid, about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago (definitely wasn't over 2 years ago). Everything looked fine and clear at that time. At the time I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (which was about 4 years ago), my then-doctor tested me for Hashimoto's and Grave's and decided that I didn't have either. My mom, both aunts, and Grandma all have/had Hashimoto's...and since I have been informed that it's highly genetic, I would assume that may be what's going on with me as well. I did just recently read that a person can have both Hashimoto's and Grave's antibodies at the same time. Not sure how any of this works, but when I go back to my general doc in 2-3 weeks for more bloodwork, she said she will check me for Hashimoto's and Grave's. She has mentioned possibly having my thyroid removed if it won't stay stable. 

As it is, I'm SERIOUSLY wondering if my flares that I get multiple times a year are caused by my thyroid? Even though I get my thyroid checked every time and it always comes back stable/normal. My doctor said she highly doubts my thyroid is causing all these issues and she believes that these flares are either my Fibro flaring up or MS (I have an appt with a neurologist in a week and a half). In the meantime, I found out I have gall bladder disease and gallstones that are acting up and my doc now wants that ripped out as soon as possible. Ugh! 

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

Meg_the_Mermaid
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Well I do have a endocrinologist that I think I should go back to. My general doc is telling me I don't have to and that she can take care of my thyroid issues. But I really would prefer to go back to the endo because he knows MORE about this kind of stuff. Not to mention that I have pcos and he handles that as well. 

I have symptoms that are not showing up as thyroid, Hashi, or Graves symptoms. I don't doubt that I have Fibro...I really do believe I have that, that isn't an issue. But the MS...I don't know. I mean, I know I'm having symptoms that fit all that...but Fibro mimics symptoms of other diseases anyway, you know? And same with thyroid disease, it can have the same symptoms as other more serious issues (MS). But like I said, I have weird issues that don't seem to be the thyroid issues and may not even be Fibro issues. Unless I am like one in a million and have these rarer issues with my thyroid or Fibro. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, it's my luck! I'm also under an insane amount of stress, and I know that stress is nuts as it is, but it's even worse for people with autoimmune diseases...so maybe that is what's creating these MS-like symptoms. 

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

I would ask for another Dr I have been scared with fibro and MS and have neither! Remember Graves and Hashimoto's have remission times so get retested

Quoting Meg_the_Mermaid:

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)