Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

to RAI or not to RAI?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:13 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 324 Total Views
I am currently hyperthyroid, i was put on meds for my thyroid and my tahycardia last week.... the docs saysif in 6wks if im still hyper that she will want to do a RAI....

Has anyone ever had one and what are the side effects?

Thanks!
Sarah
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
smallnstrong
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:15 PM
I'm sorry....is that one of the forms of radiation therapy?
Chelle
MamaSarah0307
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 4:42 PM
yes
iamblessed7
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 5:03 PM
I had the RAI done in 2000. I did not experience any side effects, and of course when you do it, it is like anything else with a big long sheet of things that could happen. The only thing was my kids and hubby had to stay at my mom's for about a week I think so that any residue that your body leaks will not be picked up in their body and kill their thyroid too. I had a baby in 2002, so it didn't effect childbearing or anything. Basically you go in and take a pill and liquid and go home. Now, I know of other people that stayed in the hospital after having RAI but insurance companies are getting funny about paying that money out when you can go home.
mommamiaria
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:14 PM
My sister took the radiation pill and no side effects. It worked and it has been 3 years now and her thyroid is normal and she does not take any medications. Even her endocrinologist was surprised at how well her body responded.
MamaSarah0307
by on Jun. 17, 2007 at 9:15 PM
thank you!
carriep
by on Jun. 19, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Quoting iamblessed7:

I had the RAI done in 2000. I did not experience any side effects, and of course when you do it, it is like anything else with a big long sheet of things that could happen. The only thing was my kids and hubby had to stay at my mom's for about a week I think so that any residue that your body leaks will not be picked up in their body and kill their thyroid too. I had a baby in 2002, so it didn't effect childbearing or anything. Basically you go in and take a pill and liquid and go home. Now, I know of other people that stayed in the hospital after having RAI but insurance companies are getting funny about paying that money out when you can go home.

Same for me..except that they didnt have to stay anywhere...we were told they could not use the same bathroom, or bed etc...But I am on meds as I became Hypo after the RAI for Graves... So that is one of the side effects that happend.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)