Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Generic vs. Synthroid

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:10 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 218 Total Views
Okay, real quick post here.  Girls, please if you respond please message me instead as I hate searching back for answers.

Okay, here's the deal, I've been having my dosage raised until I hit a plateau at 100mcg.  I was feeling the best I've ever felt and wonderous.  Well about a month later I felt crappy all over again.  It's all I can do to get moving again, I've gained the weight back, hair loss, crappy skin....depression...bla bla bla.  So I've been taking generic this whole time and wondering if Sythroid will be any different. 

My endo. said NO DIFFERENCE but I am wondering if anyone else has noticed a difference.
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 7:12 PM

My endocrinologist says there is a difference and advised me not to go with generic. I am feeling better but he also raised my dosage so I am not sure which made me feel better. He said in most medications it does not make a difference if you go with the generic but he feels there is a difference when it comes to Synthroid. Who really knows??? I don't lose weight unless I eat 1000 calories or less and exercise every day which is just not possible so I cut out sugar and carbs, watch the fats, exercise when I can and pray one day that I will wake up with a body like Pamela Anderson. We can all dream. LOL!

by on Jun. 15, 2007 at 10:14 AM
My endo strongly recommended against taking the  generic and told me to make sure that the pharmacist did not give me the generic.  He said something about that the rate and percentage of medication breaking down properly is compromised with the generic versions.  Hence, the quality is not as good. 

I guess the old adage goes..."you get what you pay for in this instance".   If your blood-work is coming back fine, I would strongly suggest taking the real Synthroid. 

Best of luck and Hope you are feeling better soon.  :)
by on Jun. 15, 2007 at 10:18 AM
My regular doctor and my endocrinologist BOTH said that there is a difference.

I would insist on the name brand...if you can get your docotr to write that the name brand is medically necessary then most insurance will give it to you at the generic price.

It sounds like your endo might be getting kick-backs from the generic company...or he is just not up with the times.
by on Jun. 15, 2007 at 11:51 AM
I didn't think there was a difference between generic & brand until I went to get a script filled and the dr had marked on it no generic, so my insurance wouldn't cover it.  I was told by the dr & pharmacist that in many drugs there is no difference between the generic & brand but with Synthroid they could definately tell a difference.
by on Jun. 15, 2007 at 3:24 PM
My son has hypothyroidism, and has been on Synthroid for 4 years. His endo is adamant about not going with the generic.  I don't know the price difference, but I only pay $11.00/month for his meds, so I'm not worried - yet.
by on Jun. 18, 2007 at 12:36 AM
  From personal experience I would take nothing but Synthroid. I was told by an Endo, my regular Dr. years ago and my gynecologist to never take anything but synthroid. Then a year ago my new Dr. convinced me to take the generic. She claimed no difference. After a year of gaining weight feeling like crap. Another blood test showed my level increased from 4 to 14. I demanded Synthroid and my insurance makes me pay the difference between the generic and the Synthroid.  I dropped 8 pounds almost instantly. And generally feel 100% better. There is a difference!  
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)