Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else preggo?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:26 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 279 Total Views
Curious, is anyone else pregnant currently? Issues? We're due in about 8 weeks, but having preterm junk again due to my thyroid antibodies once again crossing the placenta.

Momma to Elliot (8.8.06 T21), Nora (2.12.02) and baby Isaac to come (EDD 9.16.07)

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
beanchihuahua
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 8:46 PM
I just had a baby a month ago and didn't have too many problems. However, when my son was born he had some problems with his temperature and color and it was discovered that he had a TSH of 46. That was from the synthroid I take. I had no idea it would do that, but once he expelled it from his system his levels were fine. The big problem I did have was that my TSH was always below normal while my T3 and T4 were fine so they had to keep tweaking my synthroid dose
funnymom32
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 9:23 PM
I am 5 1/2 months pregnant right now.  So far, I've had to up my dosage once in the beginning.  My doctor didn't want to do it but I was almost at 3 (TSH)  and from reading about hypothyroid I heard that you don't want to go above 3.  I am doing great right now.   It is still going up though.  I thought if you took your meds. everything would be fine.  Now I am a little scared!
blessingsx3
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 10:43 PM
It is totally normal to have to increase your Synthroid during pregnancy.  With all 3 of my kids my dose went up at least twice.  Pregnancy changes how your body absorbs the synthetic hormone.  Part of it I think has to do with the weight gain.  Be careful though because having an overactive thyroid is not good at all for the baby.  After delivery it will change too.  I learned the hard way after my first.  I was very sick and had to stay 4 days in the hospital before being discharged, only to be re admitted the next day.  The Dr. happened to check my tsh and it was 30.  My body was shutting down.  They tripled my synthroid and then over the next 3 months weaned me down as needed.  With the next 2 babies my tsh was tested every month during pregnancy and before I was discharged from the hospital and several times over the next 6 months.  Before having kids my synthroid dose was .15mg and now 7 years later I take .2mg.  Best of luck to you!
NebraskaMomma
by on Jul. 28, 2007 at 12:05 AM

Oh, didn’t mean to scare anyone. I’m a very rare case. I carry antibodies for both Hashi’s and Graves’ and have both autoimmune diseases. Our baby boy was two months premature because the Graves’ antibody (TSI) crossed the placenta. My TSI with this pregnancy is 440 currently; normal is 130 (this is not good and it explains the preterm issues again). My Graves’ was undiagnosed and untreated while pregnant with our son. And, until he was born prematurely (with skyrocketing antibody levels and a very rapid heart rate) no one knew that I had Graves’. My son’s “pediatric” endo took one look at me and knew that I had Graves’ in addition to my Hashi’s. I was also given ENTIRELY too much synthroid which also crossed transplacentally with him. Both my new endo (not the one who misdiagnosed me) and my OB were shocked when we became pregnant again so soon (we were not trying and I was told that I should have been infertile). This little man was a surprise and we have done fairly well thus far. I have had two fetal echos and baby’s heart is strong. So, if indeed the TSI is crossing again, new baby’s heart is handling things well currently. My TSH has remained fairly stable throughout this pregnancy. And, I’m just on a low dose of synthroid (.125 as compared to the .175 I was on previously with Elliot). It currently rests at .7.

Again, I’m an odd one and as the endo has mentioned, “one for the books.” LOL!

I wish all of the other preggo mommas the best of luck and if anyone wants to chat about this further, please post. I’ve been through some pretty odd circumstances…

Momma to Elliot (8.8.06 T21), Nora (2.12.02) and baby Isaac to come (EDD 9.16.07)

lovemy3azboys
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:44 AM

Quoting funnymom32:

I am 5 1/2 months pregnant right now.  So far, I've had to up my dosage once in the beginning.  My doctor didn't want to do it but I was almost at 3 (TSH)  and from reading about hypothyroid I heard that you don't want to go above 3.  I am doing great right now.   It is still going up though.  I thought if you took your meds. everything would be fine.  Now I am a little scared!

I dont recall my #'s when I was pregnant but they did up my meds once & everything was fine.  The baby was as healthy as can be.
allie491
by on Aug. 12, 2007 at 10:23 PM

I am 7 1/2 months pregnant and my dose has been increased I believe 3 times, it was all mostly within the first trimester and a little in my second.  My endo said it's very normal to have to increase about 20%, because your hormones go all haywire and you gain weight.  

amcknabb529
by on Aug. 12, 2007 at 10:40 PM
after reading this now i am more freaking out about things then i already was. i found out that i had a thyroid problem after i had my daughter. it wasnt "bad" enough the docs said for medicine at first. so after i gained over 50lbs it was bad enough. my husband and i wanted to try for a second child and they kept saying not to with my thyroid being all wacked. finally its working again. i went to the gyno last week for a colposcopy and found out i was pregnant about 6 weeks, and before i left there i asked if i can still take it now that im pregnant and she said yes. in fact she said that it would probably go up in the amount to take so i should just start taking like 2 extra pills/ week. now after reading all of your stuff i am scared. i have been spoting and am kinda freaking out about that now. i called the on call doc sat and he said to not worry if the bloods not gushing out. i did have a pap test thursday and when i think of it i guess i was spotting some when i thought what was my period. they say it is normal and my mom bled for 4 months when she was preg with me and had some clots. i dont know my bf just went through a lot of tramatic stuff w her preg and i think that has me worried about everything.. if anyone has any anything plz let me know. thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)