Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anybody do any weird or crazy stuff and then couldnt figure out why?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:25 AM
  • 19 Replies
  • 393 Total Views

Has anyone done anything really,weird,crazy, or just out of character? Either before or since you've been diagnosed? I've done some off the wall things,and while they were happening,it was kind of like I couldnt make my mind focus or something.Sometimes when I try real hard to think or focus on something I cant. I literally feel like my head has fog in it.Theres quite a bit of mental illness on my fathers side and I REALLY felt like I was going crazy. I would do stuff that was totally uncharacteristic of me. Am I just crazy or does it have something to do with hypo?

We don't quit playing with toys when we grow up.We grow up when we quit playing with toys!   blowing bubbles~Molly~

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Helen
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:28 AM

I feel like I am in a fog.  That can be the thyroid.  Focusing problems too.  I used to be able to do 2 or 3 things at a time.  Now, I need to focus on one thing for the most part.  As for doing things that are uncharacteristic, I don't know.  Ask your doctor and use specific examples.  Write them down so that you remember.

BoxerLove
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:44 AM

No, your not going crazy. Yes it is the thyroid. Before I was treated I lost most of my memory. I had to relearn how to cook, clean, drive, take care of myself & my children, couldn't pay bills anymore. I still have bouts that don't make sense. I thought I did something and I did the opposite and don't remember doing it. Until I got regulated on my meds, I felt like I lived in that claritian commercial. The one where the fog was in front of you. You could see past it but couldn't come out of it. It will take some time. Make sure you get enough sleep. Have a good Endo as well. Any symptoms you experience, make sure to write it all down and share it with them. Hope this helps.

April

~ Hashi's/Hypo 2001, Levothyroxin 75mg  ~ PCOS 2005, Spironolact 100mg

bvona
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Undiagnosed here, but I experience similar things too. Sometimes when Im driving I'll forget where Im goin for a minute. It scares me, especially when the kids are with me!

Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself and know that everything in life has a purpose -Elizabeth Kubler Ross
Momof4Gr8Kids
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Quoting bvona:

Undiagnosed here, but I experience similar things too. Sometimes when Im driving I'll forget where Im goin for a minute. It scares me, especially when the kids are with me!

Dude! I totally know what you mean! I can remember when I was in high school I would be walking to class and just stop and try to remember where I was going,if it was the right class,etc.That happened to me EVERY dang day.It was very annoying. I forget directions and stuff too. I also have really bad...IDK wut you call it. But I will do something and at the time,think its ok or not that big a deal,then think about it later on and be absolutely furious with myself for being so stupid. Hypo has REALLY messed with my head! Idk if I need a diff med or what,but the one I'm on is NOT helping!

Momof4Gr8Kids
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Quoting BoxerLove:

No, your not going crazy. Yes it is the thyroid. Before I was treated I lost most of my memory. I had to relearn how to cook, clean, drive, take care of myself & my children, couldn't pay bills anymore. I still have bouts that don't make sense. I thought I did something and I did the opposite and don't remember doing it. Until I got regulated on my meds, I felt like I lived in that claritian commercial. The one where the fog was in front of you. You could see past it but couldn't come out of it. It will take some time. Make sure you get enough sleep. Have a good Endo as well. Any symptoms you experience, make sure to write it all down and share it with them. Hope this helps.

April

OMG!!! Finally,someone who feels my pain,well discomfort atleast. That is exactly how I feel!!!! I went from cooking fine to making everything taste like crap!

Jenicasmommy
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:49 AM

Quoting Momof4Gr8Kids:

Quoting BoxerLove:

April

OMG!!! Finally,someone who feels my pain,well discomfort atleast. That is exactly how I feel!!!! I went from cooking fine to making everything taste like crap!

Hee hee, me too! I am always screwing up my dinners. But yeah it's brain fog and seriously annoying and scary sometimes too. I do that, suddenly forget where I am going while I am driving. For a while I felt so strange...my kids looked weird, I felt like I didn't know my husband, memory completely shot. I didn't know what was up, down. I had to tell myself how to walk and eat it did not come naturally, even talking at times. Sometimes my mind goes totally blank....I mean I dont even know my name at that time. Thankfully that doesn't happen very often.

38047_1230658629_med1.jpg picture by nica1082

BoxerLove
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM

This thyroid thing is not an easy one to endure. When my daughter was born, I had to constantly remind myself that I had a daughter. I had no relationship with her. It still hurts me today. But now that I am more clear, I take each day to try to reconnect with both of my kids. I am less emotional now days, meaning I have a hard time connecting with anyone. My kids, husband family. I feel more abrupt with them then sincere. I have less patients with winey people that wont help themselves. I try to be less hard, but it is not easy to say the least. I'm less tollerant to people that are controlling. It is a constant struggle every day to try to keep your balance. My hormones are all messed up. With thyroid you go through perimenopause. I started going back to work and my children's school after 8 yrs. That was so hard. I had no confidence in myself. There is one teacher that had become my friend over the years that kept pulling me in. Helping me keep me on my feet. But at least once a month I have a total breakdown. And I don't see it coming until it is right on top of me. I know where you all are coming from. It has taken me years to live without thinking 24/7 of my disease. I am learning to live again. When I got nervious, I couldn't speak. It was ahrd to find words to say. I was so embarrased. I still have troubles coming up with words. Not as bad tough. I have to relearn math, english. I work with 5th grade kids and cannot even help them. I feel so stupid. They laugh not knowing how bad it hurts that I cannot help them. In March I have to take a test to beable to become permanent at the school. I am so afraid I will fail it. Coming from almost complete memory loss to having to relearn it again. And if I dont pass, all the teachers will know and ask why I didn't get the job. Anyway, getting off subject.....

Just hang in there. It takes up to a year to get yourself regulated on a good dose. It is not easy and you just have to take each day, small steps at a time. You will see the light. It just takes time.

April

~ Hashi/Hypo 2001, Levothyroxin 75mg  ~ PCOS 2005, Spironolact 100mg

Momof4Gr8Kids
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Quoting BoxerLove:

This thyroid thing is not an easy one to endure. When my daughter was born, I had to constantly remind myself that I had a daughter. I had no relationship with her. It still hurts me today. But now that I am more clear, I take each day to try to reconnect with both of my kids. I am less emotional now days, meaning I have a hard time connecting with anyone. My kids, husband family. I feel more abrupt with them then sincere. I have less patients with winey people that wont help themselves. I try to be less hard, but it is not easy to say the least. I'm less tollerant to people that are controlling. It is a constant struggle every day to try to keep your balance. My hormones are all messed up. With thyroid you go through perimenopause. I started going back to work and my children's school after 8 yrs. That was so hard. I had no confidence in myself. There is one teacher that had become my friend over the years that kept pulling me in. Helping me keep me on my feet. But at least once a month I have a total breakdown. And I don't see it coming until it is right on top of me. I know where you all are coming from. It has taken me years to live without thinking 24/7 of my disease. I am learning to live again. When I got nervious, I couldn't speak. It was ahrd to find words to say. I was so embarrased. I still have troubles coming up with words. Not as bad tough. I have to relearn math, english. I work with 5th grade kids and cannot even help them. I feel so stupid. They laugh not knowing how bad it hurts that I cannot help them. In March I have to take a test to beable to become permanent at the school. I am so afraid I will fail it. Coming from almost complete memory loss to having to relearn it again. And if I dont pass, all the teachers will know and ask why I didn't get the job. Anyway, getting off subject.....

Just hang in there. It takes up to a year to get yourself regulated on a good dose. It is not easy and you just have to take each day, small steps at a time. You will see the light. It just takes time.

April

I'm so sorry to hear that April.I have forgotten other stuff too,like how to do math equasions and even my spelling has suffered. Sometimes I cant even do simple adding and subtracting. But thankfully,I still have a good relationship with my kids altho I can be really hardon them and I have NO patience for whiney people either. And people who dont want to help themselves irk the sh!t outta me!!! I've done some very foolish stuff when I was at rock bottom.And it hurts me to even think about them.So,I try not to,lol.I've hit rock bottom several times over the years,and it is sooo hard to crawl back up out of that pit.There were times I didnt think I'd manage.Then I thought of how hard my kids would have it,if I wasnt here. It's a terrible,terrible place to be and for so many years I felt all alone.I'm so happy to have people I can talk to about it now.Because unless you've dealt with it,you cant really understand where any of us are coming from. I hope things get better for you April. And if any of yall ever want to talk,feel free to message me.

RCook
by on Jan. 5, 2009 at 3:20 PM

When I was in High School I had a terrible time with staring.  I'd get my eyes fixated on something and couldn't see or hear anything else going on.  My poor sister and brother used to get so mad at me because if I was reading or watching tv, for example, I'd start staring and not hear them talking to me right in front of my face.  They thought I was just intentionaly ignoring them.  I was glad when I could explain to them why I did that and that it wasn't intentional!!!

red58
by on Jan. 6, 2009 at 8:35 AM

i know the feeling...i have problems with remembering things even after a few minutes.  i am studing to get my ged and half the time i cant remember what i was studying!  its very frustrating and i hate it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)