Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Diagnosis question

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:58 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 205 Total Views

I don't know what to do and thought I would ask you ladies for your advice. My little girl is 9 months old, and is having issues which her dr originally said could be thyroid related. She is constipated constantly (I have to give her prunes and prune juice daily to keep her fairly regular), she is a pretty big baby (she was almost 23 pounds at her well baby checkup yesterday), and she is always cold (her temp runs around 97.1 and her legs are always cold to the touch). So we did the blood test and the dr said it came out normal at 1.890. Now I'm not sure what that means but she said the range is from .7-6.40 so that would be normal I think. However, I have heard that thyroid problems are very difficult to diagnose. Was that true for you ladies? Do you think I should take her to a different pedi for a 2nd opinion? Does it even sound to you like she might have a problem? Her current dr can't seem to give me answers as to why she might be constipated or cold, and I don't think its normal that a baby needs prunes everyday to be able to go to the bathroom without screaming in pain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jenjobrien
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Im hypothyroid and Ive never had constipation problems because of it.  You could take baby to an Endocrinologist.  They specialize in that sort of thing if you want a second opinion.

mishaann01
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Thank you! I wasn't sure what type of dr would specialize in thyroid issues. Now I'll need to see if I need a referall I guess.

Quoting jenjobrien:

Im hypothyroid and Ive never had constipation problems because of it.  You could take baby to an Endocrinologist.  They specialize in that sort of thing if you want a second opinion.

Helen
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM

You would need to look for a pediatric endocrinologist. 

My daughter was constipated as a baby.  Same thing with the prunes.  I even had to give her meds to help her go.  She still has issues, but not as bad.  It use to be so bad that we needed to use a thermometer to break it up so that she could go.  Also, LOTS of vaseline.  She wasn't cold. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)