Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Graves Disease/Hyperthyroidism and Disability~HELP PLEASE!!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:31 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 3013 Total Views

My hubby found this website about possibly being able to get SSI/ Disabilty benefits if you have Graves Disease... Check this out...

SSI disability, social security lawyer info, ssd lawyers

DISABILITY AND GRAVES DISEASE - BENEFITS AND FILING

Graves Disease is a disorder that involves the thyroid, and is the most common source of hyperthyroidism. Symptoms of Graves Disease might include a goiter, protruding eyeballs, or a skin condition that involves the lower extremities. It has been suggested that Graves disease is an autoimmune response to some type of virus, because it occurs suddenly and late in life. Treatment options for individuals with Graves Disease might involve anti thyroid medications, surgical removal of the thyroid and radioactive iodine treatment. Women are eight times more likely to suffer from Graves Disease than men are. Most individuals who have Graves Disease are between thirty and sixty, although it is not uncommon for younger and older individuals to have the disease.

Can you win social security disability or SSI disability benefits on the basis of Graves Disease ?

Social Security Disability and SSI Disability Information

Disability Advocates
Help with Claims
Free Case Evaluation

Now, I have some questions. Have any of you been able to get disability benefits from having Grave's Disease?   If so, was it a long drawn out process?  I tried going to work as a maid and everytime I would bend over to pick something up or get too hot I would start having panic attacks(because I suffer from severe panic disorder as well). On top of all this I have to take a betablocker for a terribly high heart rate-mine is normally between 120-140. Needless to say the employer wasn't happy and I was fired because they said I wasn't physically able to do the work.  I just wanted to get the opinion from all of you ladies that have gone through this. Thanks for all the help in advance and I hope everyone is doing well!!!!!!!

group hug

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jenjobrien
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Ive been wondering if its possible to get it with Hypothyroidism and depression because I have both.  I quit a previous job because of it.

avi_nevaeh_mama
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Not sure. I have a physically demanding job and I'm able to function and do it. Of course I'm exhausted all the time. My heart rate is over 145 when I'm not good at taking my beta blockers. But I don't think I need the government to give me SSI. If anything I would love to get it with my autistic son because we do need the help with him. I don't think Graves is something that should qualify for SSI. In the majority of cases it can be controlled and shouldn't effect your work life. JMO.

kevinsgirl
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Yes, but in my personal case with it, it is not being controlled very well.  Even with all the meds I am on, I still feel like I did before i ever took any meds for it. Plus I dont just have Graves, I have Severe Panic Disorder, anxiety and depression. And that factors in this situation ALOT!!  I just wanted some advice from people who can relate to my situation, not put it down! I kinda feel like you might think I just want Gov. help and I am lazy and just dont want to work. That is NOT AT ALL the case.  I went to work doing physically demanding job and for me, personally, my body couldn't take it.  I was always throwing up, passed out a few times, etc.  So just BC you can do it doesn't mean everyone can.  Like I said before, I am looking for POSITIVE advice, not someone saying "I don't think Graves is something that should qualify for SSI. In the majority of cases it can be controlled and shouldn't effect your work life. ".  Everyone is different and it affects people differently. I would hope that you understand that. And by no means am I trying to come off as rude, but you cannot judge others until you know the whole situation. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Plus here is what was stated by the disability website.......

Quoting avi_nevaeh_mama:

Not sure. I have a physically demanding job and I'm able to function and do it. Of course I'm exhausted all the time. My heart rate is over 145 when I'm not good at taking my beta blockers. But I don't think I need the government to give me SSI. If anything I would love to get it with my autistic son because we do need the help with him. I don't think Graves is something that should qualify for SSI. In the majority of cases it can be controlled and shouldn't effect your work life. JMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)