• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dosage increase

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:40 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 213 Total Views

hi i was just doubled my meds from 25 to 50 a week ago....i am hypo and i was wondering if it happens a lot....my tsh was 5.2 when i was first put on levo....then it went down to 1.32 within a year on that dose....then 3 months later it jumps back up to 4.89 how often does that happen and why?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
bethelann2004
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Hmmm... How long have you been on the meds? How often do you get your levels checked? I have been on Levothyroxine for 5 years, and my  levels have always been pretty consistent. My med increased when I was pregnant, and then went back down when I had him. Are you pregnant, by any chance?

Roxanne0607
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:15 PM

If you have hashimoto's it is a progression of the disease.  Your immune system attacks your thyroid, slowly killing it and your levels drop.  Some people can stay on the same dose for years others are killed off quickly.  I knew I had an attack in september and slowly went down from there, I was on more meds by december. 

If not from hasimotos there can be variable reasons check out this post on our board

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1063/boards/read/5602838/15_Reasons_Why_Your_Levels_May_Be_Off

Roxanne

MiraclesDHappen
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 3:43 PM

i wish, this is how i found out i had it....i can't get pregnant( but may be DH low sperm count)

Quoting bethelann2004:

Hmmm... How long have you been on the meds? How often do you get your levels checked? I have been on Levothyroxine for 5 years, and my  levels have always been pretty consistent. My med increased when I was pregnant, and then went back down when I had him. Are you pregnant, by any chance?

MiraclesDHappen
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 3:47 PM

TY i guess if it keeps going up then i will know right? lol

Quoting Roxanne0607:

If you have hashimoto's it is a progression of the disease.  Your immune system attacks your thyroid, slowly killing it and your levels drop.  Some people can stay on the same dose for years others are killed off quickly.  I knew I had an attack in september and slowly went down from there, I was on more meds by december. 

If not from hasimotos there can be variable reasons check out this post on our board

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1063/boards/read/5602838/15_Reasons_Why_Your_Levels_May_Be_Off

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)