• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hashimoto's Disease

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:46 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 438 Total Views

Who has Hashimoto's and how are you dealing?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lapizz
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 10:39 AM

just keep taking the synthroid and get ultrasounds on the goiters...do you have Hashimoto's?

jaimesue
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 7:31 PM

I do, but I can't be medicated, because I am a strange case.  My levels go up and down.  I may be hyper then hypo all in 6 months.  I am getting my bloodwork done every 3-6 months and getting my ultrasounds every 6 months. 

Mdaisey
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I have Hashimoto's. I was diagnosed in Dec 07. I have been feeling good for a while now. Before I was diagnosed, I lost a lot of weight, and I am very thin to begin with. I was very nauseous, I had the chills, I could barely get out of bed some days. I thought I had graves disease. My levels were 14. something. My levels are almost normal now. For me it has been a constant adjustment of Synthoid. I take 37.5,  i feel great on that dose, but my levels are borderline normal. But, when I take 50mcg, my body can't handle that amount, so it is frustrating. I also have gained back all the weight I lost, so I don't look sickly anymore =)

I also had three nodules, but now I only have two. They are under 2cm, so I have to go yearly for a sonogram on my Thyroid.

Do you have Hashimoto's? And if you do, how are you feeling?

lapizz
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:09 AM

I do have it - since 11th grade. Now I take 125 mcg of synthroid. Although I am hypo, I get periods of hyperness and shakes...dr. has my tsh at a 1 because my husband and I are considering having another child (before I turn 40...two more years to decide -- I know, I know, it should be now or never!). Depression is a part of it - that sucks. But I find exercise helps my mind sooo much. Plus, I have a lot of weight to lose....How does it affect you?

jaimesue
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:36 PM

I have depression now, I take meds for that. I have been on and off synthroid for a couple of years now. I have 4 nodules, 1 is growing and the other 3 are stagnant. I have good weeks and bad weeks. I went from a size 6 to 4 this summer in two weeks and then by October I was in a size 10. I am now back to size 8 with a strict diet and quite a bit of exercise. It is almost impossible to lose weight. I am exhausted most of the time and I catch everything that hits the school (I'm a teacher). I am taking a lot of vitamins and a high dosage of Vitamin A to help the energy level which is making life tolerable right now. I hate to gripe, but I guess I am in a down time right now and feel like poop. I also go through periods where I am an emotional wreck; my husband just loves that ;) I went a year and a half without a period but now that is back to regular. So strange! I enjoyed the year off though :)  It's really crazy how it effects everyone differently, but yet we all share so many of the same symptoms too!

lapizz
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 7:54 AM

My smallest size was a cute, petite 4 -- my largest a 3x -- I've given away boxes of clothes at both ends of my size range...I'm happy to be in the middle but have a long way to go to be more healthy....

Vitamin A helps? How much do you take, in addition to a reg multi-vitamin? I had mono last Sept and that was tough...still could use more energy...

Your dr takes you on and off synthroid? That much be so hard...is that because you go from hypo to hyper often? what a toll it must be on you!

Quoting jaimesue:

I have depression now, I take meds for that. I have been on and off synthroid for a couple of years now. I have 4 nodules, 1 is growing and the other 3 are stagnant. I have good weeks and bad weeks. I went from a size 6 to 4 this summer in two weeks and then by October I was in a size 10. I am now back to size 8 with a strict diet and quite a bit of exercise. It is almost impossible to lose weight. I am exhausted most of the time and I catch everything that hits the school (I'm a teacher). I am taking a lot of vitamins and a high dosage of Vitamin A to help the energy level which is making life tolerable right now. I hate to gripe, but I guess I am in a down time right now and feel like poop. I also go through periods where I am an emotional wreck; my husband just loves that ;) I went a year and a half without a period but now that is back to regular. So strange! I enjoyed the year off though :)  It's really crazy how it effects everyone differently, but yet we all share so many of the same symptoms too!

jaimesue
by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 10:06 PM

I am totally off meds now and I am trying to stay that way.  I take a Vitamin A pill that is 10,000 IU once a day and a 50 billion pro bifida culture pill a day.  That is the stuff in the Activa yogurt, I take that because I got staph last year and got really sick!  I also take a regular women's vitamin.  I take A and pro bifida at night because they make me a little nauseated, I get to sleep it off that way.  Man, mono, that stinks, I've had that too!  I remember walking to the mailbox and thinking I had run a marathon.  I don't know if I would recommend the 50 billion cultures, b/c I think I was just told to take that because of the staph infection.  You could eat the yogurt though :)

Quoting lapizz:

My smallest size was a cute, petite 4 -- my largest a 3x -- I've given away boxes of clothes at both ends of my size range...I'm happy to be in the middle but have a long way to go to be more healthy....

Vitamin A helps? How much do you take, in addition to a reg multi-vitamin? I had mono last Sept and that was tough...still could use more energy...

Your dr takes you on and off synthroid? That much be so hard...is that because you go from hypo to hyper often? what a toll it must be on you!

Quoting jaimesue:

tikigoddess
by on Feb. 9, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's after living almost 12 years with Hypo.  I don't really know how different this is going to be, if at all, but at least I have something more specific to go on.

"Just because you're not a perfect mom is no excuse not to try"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)