Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Cancer Awareness Group Breast Cancer Awareness Group

What REALLY raises the risk of breast cancer?

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2010 at 1:14 PM
  • 16 Replies

There are lots of rumors what environmental factors might cause breast cancer.

I thought  this list of possible factors, and whether or not they are really contributors to breast cancer, was very helpful. Take a look:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1301703/What-REALLY-raises-risk-breast-cancer-We-asked-expert-weigh-evidence-various-theories.html

What do you think of this list? Do you avoid anything here?

by on Aug. 11, 2010 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilbobbigirl
by Member on Aug. 13, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Thank you for posting that!!  It was nice to hear that I am doing things to help reduce my risk.  I dont use any BC with estrogen in it, I dont drink and dont smoke, and have breast fed both of my babies :) 

MrsBLB
by Group Mod - Missi on Aug. 19, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Thank you for posting this.  A good friend of mine, a breast cancer survivor, and I did a lot of these together.  I did go back to smoking though... 

SweetLuci
by on Sep. 23, 2010 at 8:59 PM

This is from Great Britian, and I'm not familiar with the sources, so it's hard to tell if there is real science behind this or just something written because the subject is of interest to a lot of women. It would be interesting to see how it compares to other information. We all need accurate information about this.

SabrinaLC
by on Sep. 24, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Well, I don't breastfeed, am stressed and wear underwire bras... that's all.

I am also slightly overweight but just had a baby three months ago so will soon (hopefully) be back to a healthy weight.

dixiegurl223626
by New Member on Sep. 24, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Thanks for the info! This is interesting. Sad about the air freshener and deodorant part though. I like things to smell nice.

mommacatof3
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I don't drink or smoke normally. As far as underwire bras,I still wear them. Since the evidence was weak on the list.

LoriAnn87
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Most of this stuff on the list isn't ture and doesn't cause cancer.

firenicecream
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Wel it certainly IS an interesting list. I heard about deoderant with aluminum many years ago. I find it interesting that men's deoderant doesn't have it but women's does. (And least I haven't seen it in men's but anyway...).

Thanks for sharing this. =)

momson666
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2010 at 11:43 PM
so what are some causes and signs of cancer???? i am a very fat woman with big chest, and some lumps. could just be fat. have had one exam a couple yrs ago, but not sure. have my precious nine yr old son to think about. let me know. dont have cancer though and dont know anyone with...sorry if in wrong site. amymomprincess@aol.com
MissGina1021
by New Member on Oct. 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Hi Everyone!  My name is Gina,  I am a licensed Mammographer for Fairview Breast Center in Minnesota.  There are many beliefs about what causes Breast Cancer.  We believe that family history is a huge factor. Estrogen therapy is another. Smoking and diet along with denial.  I see many women who find a lump and ignore it with the hopes that it goes away.  They come in and it is huge.  Regular Mammograms are very important to make sure there is nothing small enough to start anything.  Mammograms don't always see a breast cancer but it is an important tool in the fight.   It does pick up many things.  There are many women out there who will give every excuse in the book for not getting their mammos.  That is a cop out.  I would rather have a little pressure on my breasts than Breast Cancer.  Please get checked!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)