Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ask the Expert: How to Avoid Breast Cancer Risk Factors

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2010 at 11:26 AM
  • 10 Replies

Do you want to know what daily activities might put you at risk for developing cancer? Do you want to know if it's ok to let your kids use your electronic gadgets? Cafemom is pleased to welcome Devra Davis, PhD to the group to answer your questions about breast cancer risk and other cancer risks.

Dr. Davis is an environmental health researcher and author of several books, including "The Secret History of the War on Cancer." Her latest book is "Disconnect: The Truth About Cell Phone Radiation, What the Industry Has Done to Hide It, and How to Protect Your Family."

Dr. Davis will join the group the week of Monday, November 1 to answer questions. One member who asks a question will win a free copy of "Disconnect." (You can get a sneak peek at some of Dr. Davis's work with this article here: Keep Your Cell Photo Out of Your Bra.)

Post your questions as a reply to this post. Dr. Davis will post her responses here as well.

Welcome and thank you for joining us, Devra Davis!

by on Oct. 29, 2010 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe Becky
by Head Admin on Oct. 29, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Hi Dr. Davis,

Thank you again for joining us! My question is: if keeping your cell phone too close to your body is bad, what's the best way to carry it?

Thank you!

MrsBLB
by Group Mod - Missi on Oct. 29, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Welcome and thank you!

Missi 

deedee3849
by on Oct. 29, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Welcome and thank you for joining us!

My question is this:

If you had to tell us the top 10  things to stay away from, what would they be?

worldturnedpink
by New Member on Oct. 29, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Welcome! My question is:

Do the same things that pose risks for breast cancer apply to breast cancer recurrance, or are the "rules" different for recurrance?

deedee3849
by on Oct. 30, 2010 at 2:30 PM

What serious risk factors do you think society would be most surprised to find out about?

Koryn
by Member on Oct. 30, 2010 at 11:14 PM

If breast cancer is not caused by birth control pills, then why do the pill manufacturers warn women right there in black and white inside the packettes?  Also women undergoing fertility treatments are told that it may cause breast cancer. No woman thinks it will happen to them until it does and then suddenly all the women you meet with breast cancer took the pill for 5+ years (15 years in my case!)  Why else do you think we are seeing an epidemic of pre-menopausal breast cancers???

Joeygoat
by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 8:37 PM
Should all family members get the Brac 1 and Brac 2 tests?
Nluvwitasailor
by Member on Nov. 5, 2010 at 7:38 AM

Quoting Koryn:

If breast cancer is not caused by birth control pills, then why do the pill manufacturers warn women right there in black and white inside the packettes?  Also women undergoing fertility treatments are told that it may cause breast cancer. No woman thinks it will happen to them until it does and then suddenly all the women you meet with breast cancer took the pill for 5+ years (15 years in my case!)  Why else do you think we are seeing an epidemic of pre-menopausal breast cancers???

Im not a doctor but I wanted to share with you what my genetic councelor told me! Part of the iniital interview process with her she asked about my history in taking the pill, I then asked her why. She explained that research actually shows that taking the pill actually REDUCES your risk of getting cancer, and the longer you take it the better. Now I dont know the specifics but it is something that caught my attention!

Cafe Becky
by Head Admin on Nov. 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Unfortunately we haven't heard from our expert yet, but we do have a winner in our book contest!

Congratulations to Joeygoat! She wins the book "Disconnect: The Truth About Cell Phone Radiation, What the Industry Has Done to Hide It, and How to Protect Your Family" by Devra Davis.

Thank you to everyone who asked questions! I will keep you updated on when we will hear from our expert.

batjmom
by Group Mod on Nov. 11, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Congratulations to Joeygoat for winning!   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)