Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Cancer Awareness Group Breast Cancer Awareness Group

Fibrosistic lumps - do they turn cancerous?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2011 at 9:53 AM
  • 11 Replies
I joined the group because my aunt had breast cancer but was never active until recently I've been lurking afraid to ask this question.

I was diagnosed in my twenties with fibrostic tissue in both breasts. Now in my forties I have se tumors in my left breast that have changed so I due to go back in a couple of months for another mamogram and sono of my left breast. Should I insist they include my right breast in the sonogram since the tissue is thickening just like the left one? I have pain on my left side where the tumors are an just a little pain on my right side.

I guess I'm a littler worried about this. Has anyone else dealt with this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2011 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Moodma
by Member on Feb. 14, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Yes, I think that you should have the other breast checked as well.  I pray that they are not cancerous.  I don't know if fibrocystic breast turns into cancer, but webmd.com is a great sight to obtain information on different types of cancers.  I would talk to my doctor and ask lots of questions and they should have the answers.  You know your body better than anyone else and you know what you feel and how you feel.  Take care and Hugs to You.  I will be praying for you.hugs

Hephner
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2011 at 8:32 AM
Thanks. I agree with getting my right side checked too. I totally forgot about webmd.com. I'll check that out and I do plan on asking my doc lots of questions.
Gr8AZMom
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Definitely insist on having both your breasts examed at the same time. Since your Aunt has/had breast cancer you are at risk! 

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007 (right before my 40th) birthday but found that it is was a fybrocystic cyst and it was removed but I am now on a close watch for 2 more years. 

I will pray for you that you do not have breast cancer and that the tumors can be treated if not removed. BUT DEFINITELY insist on having both breasts examined!

sandogger
by Member on Feb. 15, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Fibrocystic breasts are pretty common.  The mammogram and sonogram should help you with your concerns.  Fibrocystic breasts can be tender and painful, as well. Just monitor any changes closely with your doctor and keep getting checked out.

mommerbean
by Member on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:45 PM

I had a fibroid removed from my right breast many years ago. (1980). I just got breast cancer in my left in 09. They said the two had no connection, but I was on artificial hormones for 17 YEARS as they were the wonder drug back then.  They bet that is what caused my cancer,  as I have no BC history in our family. I DID have pain with my cancer.

DEMAND whatever test make YOU feel assured!  Don't let them put you off either. Don't take any chances, catch it early and you won't need chemo  (BAD STUFF!). 

You don't need to lurk, we are all very open and willing to talk and help you. NO ONE can help you more than women who have been through it!

Gr8AZMom
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Quoting mommerbean:

DEMAND whatever test make YOU feel assured!  Don't let them put you off either. Don't take any chances, catch it early and you won't need chemo  (BAD STUFF!). 

You don't need to lurk, we are all very open and willing to talk and help you. NO ONE can help you more than women who have been through it!

twin boystwin boysarmy Proud mother to 4 handsome boys (18, 12, 6, and 4) and the proud wife to a devoted Army soldier!  HOORAH!

dabbylynn
by New Member on Feb. 25, 2011 at 8:29 AM

I was diagnosed with fibrocystic disease in my 20's too. I had a biopsy done in 2000 in the right breast at the age of 46..it was benign..I was then diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer in 2007 in my left breast. I was told it had been there for at least 10 yrs..If the doctor at the time would have also done a biopsy on my left in 2000, she would have found it in the early stadges, but because the right side was not cancerous she took it as the left side being the same when in fact it wasn't.. I would suggest having both sides checked if only to be on the safe side..It will bring more relief  to you knowing. I am now going on being a survivor 4 yrs in October. Been through all the chemo & radiation & it is not fun. If I had it to do all over again, I would have definately insisted on both breast being check. Hope this helps you with your decision.  

dabbylynn
by New Member on Feb. 25, 2011 at 8:31 AM

BUMP!

44LSB
by Member on Feb. 25, 2011 at 9:00 AM

most definitely I would at least ask that the right breast be included especially since you have a family history

Hephner
by New Member on Feb. 25, 2011 at 9:35 AM
I will most definitely ask that both breasts be checked. I've got to get that appoinent made. I've got two months before they said I needed to be rechecked. I don't think I'm going to wait.

Thanks ladies. For all the input.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)