Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Cancer Awareness Group Breast Cancer Awareness Group

Ovarian Cancer

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:44 PM
  • 8 Replies

I was diagnosed in April with breast cancer.  Had 2 lumpectomies this month to remove all the cancerous tissue.  Starting radiation at the end of July.

Watched Dr. Oz and his discussion about Ovarian Cancer.  Now I wonder, should I get tested?

Have you been tested?

by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
shadenn766
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM

no i havent but, if it'll ease your mind then do so...good luck to you

mommyivy25
by New Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 1:27 PM
What kinds of tests do they do for ovarian cancer? I'm thinking of getting a laparoscopy because I know something's not right .
elfling811
by Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM
I was never tested, however I had a hysterectomy a couple of weeks ago to prevent that very thing.

I say get tested. At the very least it will set your mind at ease.
tinkerbellp
by Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM
I had mine checked in year of 2011 in April my ob/gyn said it all look great but, I'm going to get an ultrasound to see if there anything there cause I did have cycst on my either left or right side and it was very small also they gave me med to cured it that was in 2002 I haven't had any serious pain till now so I'm hoping it not back but, I do pray for everyone here......
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JAYEDEEN
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 1:02 AM
You bring up a very good point. My sister & mother had breast cancer and my maternal grandmother had ovarian cancer. I was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago. I had genetic testing which came back negative. (Boy did my family get mad at me for having that test. I let my family know I would only tell those who wanted to know but no one felt I had the right to take a test that could effect their families).
Anyway, my sister got a double mastectomy for stage one cancer in one breast & abnormal cells in the other with no other treatment required. My mom had a lumpectomy with no other treatment required. My grandmother (who died from lung cancer) had a hysterectomy as did my mom. I was given a double lumpectomy along with 33 radiation treatments. I asked for a double mastectomy but no one felt it was needed. When I asked for a preventative hysterectomy I was again told there was no reason for it unless I got cancer. When I asked how quickly it could be caught given what my grandmother had I was told it would probably be pretty advanced!!! I am not a doctor but I am pretty good at math and when someone says a body part you can live without can't be removed until you are too cancer ridden to be helped it just doesn't add up to me. I have changed my gyn doctor. He says he is willing to do whatever gives me peace of mind. But I have to get clearance from my oncologist and he thinks it's better to wait for symptoms. I have documented every request, every plea and every moment I have cried in fear. I do this because atleast if my illness isn't caught in time my family will have the paperwork to make sure that oncologist never does such a thing again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyivy25
by New Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Quoting JAYEDEEN:

You bring up a very good point. My sister & mother had breast cancer and my maternal grandmother had ovarian cancer. I was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago. I had genetic testing which came back negative. (Boy did my family get mad at me for having that test. I let my family know I would only tell those who wanted to know but no one felt I had the right to take a test that could effect their families).
Anyway, my sister got a double mastectomy for stage one cancer in one breast & abnormal cells in the other with no other treatment required. My mom had a lumpectomy with no other treatment required. My grandmother (who died from lung cancer) had a hysterectomy as did my mom. I was given a double lumpectomy along with 33 radiation treatments. I asked for a double mastectomy but no one felt it was needed. When I asked for a preventative hysterectomy I was again told there was no reason for it unless I got cancer. When I asked how quickly it could be caught given what my grandmother had I was told it would probably be pretty advanced!!! I am not a doctor but I am pretty good at math and when someone says a body part you can live without can't be removed until you are too cancer ridden to be helped it just doesn't add up to me. I have changed my gyn doctor. He says he is willing to do whatever gives me peace of mind. But I have to get clearance from my oncologist and he thinks it's better to wait for symptoms. I have documented every request, every plea and every moment I have cried in fear. I do this because atleast if my illness isn't caught in time my family will have the paperwork to make sure that oncologist never does such a thing again.

I agree I have been having issues with pelvic pain and hip pain and finally got my dr to take the next step to give me an MRI of my pelvis after numerous visits. All he says is ur so young to be worrying about things like this but I'm like hello I'm not just coming here for the hell of it I'm in pain. But I also jot down everything so that there is proof that I tried very hard and was being ignored.
Nora_A
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Wow, Jaydeen I am so glad that my oncologist has a different view point than yours does. I had a lumpectomy, chemotherapy and 20 radiation treatments. My surgeon gave me the choice re: lumpectomy or mastectomy.

Anyway, my mom had uterine cancer, then died of lung cancer. One of her sisters died of  ovarian cancer,  another had breast cancer,  and one died from malignant melanoma. Their only brother had prostate cancer, but then died of esophageal cancer.

Given the family history, my oncologist and my internist both advised me to consider hysterectomy with bilateral oophorectomy. My gynacologist agreed, and I had the surgery on May 9th. It was so worth having another surgery for the peace of mind.

tinkerbellp
by Member on Sep. 16, 2012 at 4:39 AM
U said u had pelvis pain what did the dr do? Ultrasound/pap smear? What was ur result from that? How was u explain the pain?

Quoting mommyivy25:

Quoting JAYEDEEN:

I agree I have been having issues with pelvic pain and hip pain and finally got my dr to take the next step to give me an MRI of my pelvis after numerous visits. All he says is ur so young to be worrying about things like this but I'm like hello I'm not just coming here for the hell of it I'm in pain. But I also jot down everything so that there is proof that I tried very hard and was being ignored.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)