Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Cancer Awareness Group Breast Cancer Awareness Group

From Oral Chemo Meds To Hormone Therapy

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM
  • 3 Replies

I was told today that I have an option to switch from chemo meds to hormone therapy because I am ER+.  I was diagnosed with 27 months ago with stage IV and am cautiously optimistic about my longevity with this chronic disease. 

Has anyone had this option?  What has been your experience if you chose the hormone therapy.  I realize everyone is different and the meds can be different, but thought I'd see if I could find out what others have experienced.

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
kcgryhound
by Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I was diagnosed with stage 1, grade 2 plus also er - pos, pr - pos, and Her 2 highest level.  So after all my chemo treatment, including a year on herceptin for the her 2, was placed on hormone therapy.  I didn't have a choice except for the fact of which drug.  I went through trying all 3 of the aramotese inhibitors but had really bad side effects from them so was then placed on Tamoxifen, which I have done better on.  My husband who is in the medical field had spoken to another oncologist friend of his and with the fact that I am her2 that I should be on hormone therapy.  I hope this help you to make a decision.  Good luck and keep on trucking!love you sign

Claudia413
by Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I am ER+ and have been on Arimidex (generic name Anastrozole) about 4 years.  I think I have had every one of the side effects ever mentioned for Arimidex, but it's still keeping my stage 3b Inflammatory Breast Cancer from recurring. It's doing its job, so I will stay on it as long as I can. My onc is going to consider discontinuing it next March when I see him. I may beg to stay on it since it's working so well for me.

LLICE
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM
I was diagnosed with stage IV large tumor & a dozen +nodes. I had a radical mastectomy, followed by intravenous & oral chemo for 1 year followed by radiation, followed by estrogen blocker Tomaxifen for 10 years.
At 10 years I had a recurrence in lymph nodes, 8 weeks lo-dose followed by 3 months hi-dose followed by radiation & a change in estrogen blocker to Arimidex. I've been in remission for 13 years at present.
Of everything I've found ER blockers to be least invasive to my daily life & least debilitating.
I've been in remission 13 years since my recurrence. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN