Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Cancer Awareness Group Breast Cancer Awareness Group

Hi, BRAC test

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hello!  I'm a mom to three children, my son is almost 12, my daughter is almost 8, and my youngest son is 15 months.  We are a military family for many years, and are stationed out west.  My Aunt had breast cancer.  My mother is on her 3 round of cancer.  She had breast cancer twice, and a mastectomy on her right breast. She also just finished her third battle of chemo and raditioan in the last two weeks for esophageal cancer   Today I had an appointment with my doctor and we did the lab work for the BRAC testing.  He said it should be back in a week. I have MANY questions, and am very nervous about this.  He is adamant if I have it everything (uterus, ovaries, both breast) must come off.  I am 32 years old, my mother was 41 when she was first diagnosed.  This scares me, and kind of seems extreme.  I am using this week to research like crazy about my options.  When I went to get a mammogram I started crying when speaking to the technician when I was trying to explain what the doctor said. She said that wasn't true, that if I tested positive I could just be monitored closer if that is what I choose.  I am new to this, and do not know much. Any good links, resources, advice for a terrified mom? 

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
busygramma4
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I would most definitely get a second opinion. I never heard of something that drastic

Dakee
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Thank you for response!  :)  I plan to get a second opinion  Mainly because he is a military OB (women's clinic) doctor, and even he said he is "new" to this testing.  They just approved it to be done here I guess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)