Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Cancer Awareness Group Breast Cancer Awareness Group

hi, new and have some questions:)

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 7 Replies

hi, new to the group, i dont have breast cancer but my grandmother does, she is like my mother she raised me along with my great grandmother. She is really worried about what she is going to have to do and i would like to ask some questions on her behalf.

Her main question is for anyone who's had a masectomy, atm she has a choice of a lumpectomy or total masectomy, but she is terrified of it coming back but doesnt want to loose her balance ect, she says she could care less about recontruction to make her look even she is 73 yrs old. 

She would like to know from anyone who had a masectomy if they could go back and have a lumpectomy instead would they, and i sposed vice versa if anyone has had a lumpectomy would you have rather had a masectomy and gotten it as she calls "over it". This will be the second time she has had cancer but first time in her breast the first was in her cervix and she had a total hysterectomy and was fine. any opinions and help woould be greatly appreciated so i can help her through this.

My blog Hearth-n-Home My webstore Moonrise Miracles  and last but nto least my Etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/Witchwood  

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Specialk3190
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I had bilateral mastectomies with immediate reconstruction. My reconstruction failed on the right side a f I had to use a prosthesis for awhile. I have had three surgeries since my failed reconstruction and I probably have two more to go. I do not regret my choice to have the mastectomies. I am sad that my reconstruction was not successful, but for me I would still make the same choice. She should know that just because she has a mastectomy does not mean the cancer can't come back. A small amount of breast tissue still remains and that does mean that there is still a possibility of recurrence. If she is having one removed she should consider both. Unfortunately, there are no easy choices here! It is like playing VEGAS one big crap shot...I wish you and your grandmother the absolute best. Try and encourage her to listen to her internal voice. I believe we all have the ability to know what it is we Are supposed to do, if we just listen to our internal/eternal voice.

Kim B.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
migammy7
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I had a double mastectomy back in Oct. Supposedly there was only cancer in my left breast but the Pathologist checked my right breast and found cancer in that one that didn't show up on the mammogram.  The Dr. said it was such  a small area it would have taken another year or two for it to be seen on the mammogram.  But to answer your question I have not noticed loosing my balance and am very glad that I had both removed at the same time..    At 63 and being married to the same wonderful husband for  45 years I have no plans for reconstruction surgery and that is just fine with my husband. I have had all kinds of trouble with the right breast incision healing and I'm just going to start chemo therapy this coming Wednesday.  But I knew when I went to see the surgeon without ever talking to him that I wanted both of them removed.  Just a feeling I had.  That they both needed to come off.

Spiritrunner
by New Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM

ty guys for your replies this is helping alot i really appreciate it

sonyarizzo1
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:39 AM
I had a double mastectomy a year ago. I don't regret it for a second. You never know what is going on inside a breast until it is removed. My mammo showed nothing, sonogram showed one lump, Dr found two more, mri found a total of 3 but when I had my mastectomy there were actually 6 tumors! The only thing worse than having a mastectomy is having to have a lumpectomy and thrn a mastectomy. I say just get it all over with and take both breasts.
busygramma4
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:19 PM

My sister had a lumpectomy twenty_ three years ago and is a survivor and she doesn't regret it.I guess it depends on what kind of cancer your dealing with along with how advanced it is.

Linda3192010
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I had a mastectomy, I wasn't given an option of lumpectomy because of size, location..., but if I had the choice I would not have a lumpectomy.  I'm quite large breasted and never feel like I'm losing my balance, I'm 57, had MX at 54.  I do hate having to wear the prosthesis all the time, without it I look pretty crooked, I think the weight is not good from my lymphedema.  I'm actually planning on having a prophylactic MX later this spring, so that I'll have to option of going flat (won't have to wear a bra or camisole at all) or wearing small light weight prosthesis (some closes do look better with breasts)  There's my 2 cents.  Please feel free to ask me any other questions..

Spiritrunner
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM

ty ladies for all the input she had a mast yesterday and seems to be doing okay, they alos found a tumor in her lymph and removed it as well and are testing it for cancer

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN