Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Cancer Awareness Group Breast Cancer Awareness Group

Diep Flap reconstruction surgery

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM
  • 3 Replies

I am a three and a half year survivor, who had a mastectomy on the right side and a partial on the left.  Went through the chemo scene and herceptin for 15 months.  I had an expander placed in the right side and had reconstruction done a year after dx, was told after the surgery, which I was not pleased with, that my mastectomy was aggressive and didn't have enough skin to fill out the implant so I had dents and craters in it.  The left side came out beautiful b/c everything was left in place.  So two years later I decided to go for the diep flap surgery this past June.  The question I have is if anyone else who has had this surgery can advise me as to when does the abdomen stop feeling so tight and stop hurting.  I wore a support for about 5 months. Two weeks ago I had to have an implant placed in the right side, after the diep flap, not enough fat from me to match up to the left side.  So I am dealing with it, but after diep flap I think any surgery is a cake walk.  Still have one more surgery to go and then the tatoo, a light at the end of the tunnel. So if anyone can give me any knowledge as to when to expect for the abdominal area to feel normal again it would be greatly appreciated.pink ribbon

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
FebPenguins
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Sounds like you are well on your way to recovery. I am new to this, so have no help for you. Good Luck!

ceceb
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I didn't know you could get a diep flap after it's all said and done, I had a bilateral masectomy, with implants, I as well have dents, plus one boob is almost at my armpit, I went from being extremely large to very small so I have a whole load of skin on the side, did your insurance pay for it or are you paying for it?

kcgryhound
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:11 PM

My insurance is paying for all of it, as long as I go to a participating doctor.  I now am looking at when I get my nipple construction done that I probably will have to have the left breast lifted so the two breasts are symmetrical b/c the right side after the implant surgery didn't really drop all that much. LOL, are we having fun yet!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)