Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Cancer Awareness Group Breast Cancer Awareness Group

No to Chemo and Radiation?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:41 AM
  • 12 Replies

Has anyone had a lumpecotomy and said no to futher treament? My mom is currently battling cancer. We want to go holistic and I would love to hear other stories of those who chose NOT to have futher treaments.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babyboomer1977
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I have had a lumpecetomy in 2011 and the month after I had recovered from two surgeries I started chemo therapy from feb to may 2012 and the month after I was done with chemo I started radiation treatments from june to august ! My doctor told me that if I did not have these treatments that I would only have three months to live ! So I had to have these treatments to live!

Dolphingirl2004
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:43 AM

My aunt refused to do any further treatment!!! She went the holistic way too, some family members didnt agree with this, but I supported my aunt no matter with any choice she made during this difficult time for her!!!! xoxoxo

FebPenguins
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM

What were her "results"??

Quoting Dolphingirl2004:

My aunt refused to do any further treatment!!! She went the holistic way too, some family members didnt agree with this, but I supported my aunt no matter with any choice she made during this difficult time for her!!!! xoxoxo

Dolphingirl2004
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this

Unfortunately, she passed away almost 2 years ago. Yet, when she decided to go the way she did, she did live 3 years longer than what the doctors told her she would. So thats why I believe u need to do what u feel is best for you, cause you never know what will happen!!!!  I wish you nothing but the best and send a whole bunch of xoxoxoxo your way!!!! xoxoxoxo

Nora_A
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I'm afraid that I'm no help to you. I opted for the chemo and radiation following my lumpectomy. I finished chemo two years ago this month, and it will be two years in June since I finished radiation. So far so good... 

kquad
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:42 AM
My mother did radiation only. After talking to the drs though -if I'm faced with the choice in her situation I would choose a full mastectomy with no radiation instead. (Her's had not spread) She would have chosen the same thing if we had been more informed at the time. My cousin that is going through it right now chose that, but then found it was everywhere, so she is going through chemo after the full.
kquad
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:45 AM
I left out that age matters. If I'm near life expectancy I would be afraid the chemo and radiation would lower my standard of living for my final years, so I would probably forgo it in that case.
Angellinda
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I did the normal.. Biopsies, surgeries, ACT Chemo, lumpectomy,  & Radiation. Last Day of 35 days of radiation was 11/17/10.  It left me feeling like I was tortured and left to die., This side effects are Brutal!! Noting improving. I wish everyone the healing you need. My husband lost his job & insurance in '09. TNBC left me not well. So we have zero income.

FebPenguins
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I am so sorry. This is why we want to persue something different. We just found out the tumor was less than an inch in diameter. Disappointed that the drs made it sound like it was "HUGE" and if we didn't do 'traditional' treatments she would die.

(hope you understand why I say we. Cancer affects everyone!)

Quoting Angellinda:

I did the normal.. Biopsies, surgeries, ACT Chemo, lumpectomy,  & Radiation. Last Day of 35 days of radiation was 11/17/10.  It left me feeling like I was tortured and left to die., This side effects are Brutal!! Noting improving. I wish everyone the healing you need. My husband lost his job & insurance in '09. TNBC left me not well. So we have zero income.

Angellinda
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)