Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Cancer Awareness Group Breast Cancer Awareness Group

Lobular Carcinoma in Situ

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:34 AM
  • 3 Replies

Hi ladies,

I was diagnosed with lobular carcinoma in situ in May as the result of micro calcifications found in my mammogram that were biopsies (those were benign). I realize this disorder is not considered cancer, but I wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone has dealt with this.

After consulting two breast surgeons, excision of the area was recommended, so that was done last week, and now I'm waiting for this biopsy result. Following that, it was recommended I consult an oncologist about future treatment (if any), and do 6-month MRI mammo rotations. This part concerns me, all the exposure to radiation can't be good. 

Just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone else dealt with this.

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
TinaNicu
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Yes, I had LCIS with DCIS on my biopsy. I found out I had the brca 2 mutation so I decided to have a double mastectomy. After the surgery, the pathologist informed me that I had an unbiopsied area of invasive lobular carcinoma. So, yes, you need to check frequently. 

LIMom1105
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is what concerns me about this diagnosis actually, I've seen similar accounts from other people, so I don't know if I'll ever feel at ease, even following this biopsy.  Yes, I am leaning towards the follow-up that is recommended, though I am concerned about radiation exposure.  I have not had genetic testing done, but there is no one in my family who has had breast or ovarian cancer, and given the cost (my insurance doesn't cover it), I'm not sure I will, though maybe at some point in the future.

I hope you are doing well now.

TinaNicu
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Btw, MRIs do not use radiation. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN