Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom was diagnosed- After surgery care?

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hello all (I'm a newbie), 

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer a few weeks ago.  She is scheduled for a double masectomy (and reconstruction) this friday.  She lives about 5 hrs away, so I can't be there with her through chemo as much as I'd like to be but I will be going in town for the surgery.  I want to put together a care basket & set up her home for when she gets home with what she needs (similar to what she does for me after having my kids).  

For those that have gone through this in your personal life or with loved ones, is there anything in particular that is helpful to have after surgery?  Or during chemo?  She lives alone but does have friends & sisters that will be there to help her out.  I can only be in town for about 4-5 days before I need to get back to my kiddos, so I'd like to get her squared away before I need to leave.  I believe her sisters are already putting together a food delivery calendar (I'm NO help in the kitchen!), so that part is already in place.  Other than food, anything else particularly helpful/comforting to have at home?

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
deesam
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Books, a big bag to take to chemothearphy with pockets for drinks smacks and a small items she wants to take. Ginger mints as these calm the stomach.
deesam
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Also try and find her a cool cap for when her hair starts to fall out. Its a cooling cap you put in the freezers that helps with the pain when the hair follicles start to constrict.
2curly
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Just being there to keep her company is one of the best things.  My mom helped me out a lot after my surgery by doing things around the house like laundry and some cleaning because I was not able to do much while the drains were still in. It was nice to not have to worry about those things. 

Tinabunny
by New Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:09 PM

If you haven't already, have cleaning arrangements made.    Even folding socks together, was a no no, when I was recovering.     Remind her to follow her surgeon's instructions.   I didn't, over did it, and it took a lot longer, and increased pain, during the healing.      Your mom and your family are in my prayers.    

Lindsey1112
by New Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM
My mom had her surgery aug 5 and just started chemo sept 5. It's crazy how fast things go.
I really don't know what would be best I bought my mom a journal so she could write her thought emotions down. The best I do for her is just support and listen she she needs it, I let her cry, scream, yell etc...
After her surgery she will need rest, keep up on fluids and pain meds don't miss a dose. Make sure she has rides all set up for further appts she will need people to drive until she feels better.
If there's anything else u need just let me know or if u want to talk.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)