I wrote a couple months ago that I had been diagnosed with Lobular Carcinoma in situ. I had a surgical excision, and the biopsy report came back with LCIS, nothing more.
My surgeon recommended a visit to an oncologist following the surgery to review follow-up care, and see if she recommends I take Tamoxifen. So she ran a panel of bloodwork, and I learned I have a higher likelihood of clotting than most women, so she did not recommend Tamoxifen. She did ask that a pathologist review the slides taken during my surgery however, since the LCIS was extensive. With a second look, it was found that I also have ductal carcinoma in situ cells. She and the surgeon are waiting for the full report which shows the margins and type of cells present before further treatment recommendations can be made.
So this diagnosis is a little more serious, though the prognosis is good. But I'll need more treatment, I just don't know what yet. I'm also very concerned about the pathology report. Why was this missed the first time? Is the pathologist now sure that is all that was found in the slides or will I learn later there are signs of invasive carcinoma? I want to know what went wrong, and see who did the second review.
Did anyone have issues like this? I'm curious if this is pretty common or no. Anyway, that's what's going on with me at the moment.