Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Cancer Awareness Group Breast Cancer Awareness Group

mastectomy with reconstruction question please

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:06 AM
  • 10 Replies

after two biopsy it turns out that I have a Phyllodes tumor. it is not cancer but will need mastectomy on just one breast but i am having a hard time chliceing reconstruction method. so i am turning to you all for you opioions and thoughts about your choice. i know
there are some options now for now days for those puppies. If you have either had a mastectomy or just wanted to get them done.. which option did you choce and how do you feel about your choice.. either just plants and which kind., TRAM flap procedure or the Latissimus dorsi flap ?

by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmygirl31
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a mastectomy in 1999, but did not opt for reconstruction.  I use a prosthetic.  I have friends that had mastectomies and transflap which they found pretty hard to deal with, saying it was very painful, but the good part is you get a flat stomach out of the deal.  My cousin and my niece(age 29) have both used expanders and fills.  They have had no problem.  The only thing they didnt like was that it took up to 6 months to have the whole thing completed.  Sorry I couldnt be of more help, but I saw no one had answered yet, and I wanted you to see someone answer.

lorililly
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:34 PM

it took 6 months to complete that is a long time.. does you friends like the way they look with the transflap ?  Thank you for answering my questions..

emmygirl31
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:33 AM

yes, she loved the outcome with the transflap.  She said it looks completely normal-she also had the nipple tattoo.  When she had it done she told me the recovery and pain of the transflap was harder than the mastectomy.  At that time, she said if she knew what it would be like she wouldnt have done it, but now she thinks it was well worth it.

TinaNicu
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 7:03 AM

I had the implants. My mastectomy was in June. My weekly fills ended in October (I went slow) and permanent implants in December. I'll be doing fat grafting to make them look more natural and 3d nipple tattoo this year. The options using muscle and tissue did not appeal to me because I am very active with young kids and do not want weekend musculature. 

TinaNicu
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 7:04 AM

*weakened

kcgryhound
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:27 AM

I have had a mastectomy on the right side and a partial on left.  Being thin I wasn't a candidate for a tram flap, and after checking it out glad I wasn't because they remove part of you abdominal muscle, which in time it's suppose to have some effect on muscle tone there.  I first started with doing an expander and fills on the right side, which does take awhile too do, but not too long as long as you are not getting chemo.  When I had the surgery finally done to place in the implants on both sides wasn't happy with the right side, the left side where my skin and nipple were left intact looked great.  The problem with the right was there wasn't enough skin to fully cover the implant where there wasn't any "dents and craters".  I found out after that surgery, because no one told me, that I had a very aggressive mastectomy and had to remove a lot of my skin.  I then opted two years later to do a DIEP flap, similar to a TRAM flap but no muscle is removed, so healing time is suppose to be quicker.  I was in my late fifties when I had it done, and I can tell you it wasn't a walk in the park.  I did have to have a implant put in six months later, because again I am thin and not enough fat to transfer to match the left side.  Eight months later I'm getting ready to have the tattooing done.  My advice if you can save your skin and nipple and then be able to do implants that's the route I would do.  I just wasn't a candidate for it because my tumor was right behind my nipple and was told I would be grossly disfigured if I did a lumpectomy and with my cancer being invasive it probably was best for me to do the mastectomy.  I hope I answered your question somewhat.  Good luck on your decision!

ltajik
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:52 AM
I have had a bilateral mastectomy due to cancer. Left side is expander to implant right side due to thin skin is latismus flap with implant. I love the results and looks really good. Ask me any ???? My sister in law had a phyllodes tumor. Please be sure you get a pet scan.
lorililly
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 7:33 PM
wow you have been though alot. they told me they should be able to save my skin and nipple. which made me happy.. I am so torn between these choices I like the fact with the tram flap your boobs grow with you. and they feel like real boobs well i was told lol.. and I like how on the implats you don't have to worry about buy new bra sizes and trying them on baecuase it will always be that size.. but also i don't want to have weak muscles.. I have only getting a right mastectomy...
Quoting kcgryhound:

I have had a mastectomy on the right side and a partial on left.  Being thin I wasn't a candidate for a tram flap, and after checking it out glad I wasn't because they remove part of you abdominal muscle, which in time it's suppose to have some effect on muscle tone there.  I first started with doing an expander and fills on the right side, which does take awhile too do, but not too long as long as you are not getting chemo.  When I had the surgery finally done to place in the implants on both sides wasn't happy with the right side, the left side where my skin and nipple were left intact looked great.  The problem with the right was there wasn't enough skin to fully cover the implant where there wasn't any "dents and craters".  I found out after that surgery, because no one told me, that I had a very aggressive mastectomy and had to remove a lot of my skin.  I then opted two years later to do a DIEP flap, similar to a TRAM flap but no muscle is removed, so healing time is suppose to be quicker.  I was in my late fifties when I had it done, and I can tell you it wasn't a walk in the park.  I did have to have a implant put in six months later, because again I am thin and not enough fat to transfer to match the left side.  Eight months later I'm getting ready to have the tattooing done.  My advice if you can save your skin and nipple and then be able to do implants that's the route I would do.  I just wasn't a candidate for it because my tumor was right behind my nipple and was told I would be grossly disfigured if I did a lumpectomy and with my cancer being invasive it probably was best for me to do the mastectomy.  I hope I answered your question somewhat.  Good luck on your decision!

lorililly
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 7:38 PM
Quoting ltajik: I have had a bilateral mastectomy due to cancer. Left side is expander to implant right side due to thin skin is latismus flap with implant. I love the results and looks really good. Ask me any ???? My sister in law had a phyllodes tumor. Please be sure you get a pet scan.

i hope you are doing ok . How did you feel after wards, if you did not have thin skin would you have choicen the latismus flap ? Is your sister in law doing good ? did she have to get a mastectomy too if so what kind of reconstruction did she have? and also why a pet scan?

ltajik
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this
The lat flap looks pretty natural. I do have a scar for the skin graft I needed. Yes I would do it again. Yes it hurt and I did pt for my arm but now all is good. I say a pet scan not to scare you but my sister in law biopsy came out benign she had the tumor removed and they found cancer cells around the edge. I say pet scan to be aggressive and just to be safe.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN