Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Cancer Awareness Group Breast Cancer Awareness Group

Question

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 1:49 AM
  • 4 Replies

I have an aunt who has had breast cancer. My mom has had cancer twice (pancreatic and cervical). My dad passed away from lung cancer in 2012. For women who have had it, other than finding a lump on home exam, did you show other symptoms? I'm afraid to talk to my aunt because she has had a mastectomy and I don't want to stir up bad memories. Is it possible to have pain caused by breast cancer? I feel like I should know but I haven't gone to the dr because of no insurance until a couple weeks ago.

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 1:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
emmygirl31
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1999, went through a mastectomy, chemo and radiation.  I had absolutely no symptoms-ever.  It was found on a mammogram when I was 46 and it was in 9 lymph nodes.  I had gone for a mammo every year so I was totally shocked.  I know some people in my support group had pain, some had itching, some had a rash, some found lumps, and some had no symptoms.  I have been cancer free for 15 years now.

akunkle19
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Sorry you had to go thru all that. My dad didn't know he had lung cancer until he had a heart attack from it. He had been diagnosed with COPD a couple years prior. 

Congrats on being cancer free! :)

Quoting emmygirl31:

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1999, went through a mastectomy, chemo and radiation.  I had absolutely no symptoms-ever.  It was found on a mammogram when I was 46 and it was in 9 lymph nodes.  I had gone for a mammo every year so I was totally shocked.  I know some people in my support group had pain, some had itching, some had a rash, some found lumps, and some had no symptoms.  I have been cancer free for 15 years now.

TinaNicu
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I had stage 1 bc last year and had a double mastectomy with reconstruction. I had zero symptoms. It was picked up on mammo. I have the faulty BRCA 2 gene. 

Dolphinz
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:05 PM

I KNOW it's possible to have other pains caused by breast cancer... If I hadn't "hurt" my back at work in 2012, I may have NEVER been diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2013 and most likely would have died from it... Stage IV Breast Cancer that had spread to my bones (the worst of it being in my spine, 2 of my left ribs and my right femur). I really didn't have ANY symptoms that any thing was wrong... I slipped on the floor at work in December of 2012, I didn't have health insurance at the time either... I KNEW something was more wrong with my back than just a "sprained muscle" or syiatic nerve that EVERY walk-in clininc and ER kept telling me it was.... The pain got so bad I literally could NOT get out of bed to even go to the bathroom much less take care of myself... Finally got an ambulance to take me to a different ER TWO MONTHS LATER and was diagnosed properly with Stage IV Breast Cancer...  I had A LOT of lower back pain especially on my right side that progressively got sharper to the point it hurt to breathe... NO family history whatsoever of breast cancer and no reason to have thought I had it... I've had genetic testing done and there is NO gene for my cancer either...  Total fluke and abnormality that I have it... Would love to find out what caused it and other  than my back hurting the way it did, why I NEVER had any other symptoms of it... Don't be a hypochondriach when it comes to aches and pains, but also don't go to the other extreme and constantly dismiss it either... especially if it shows up out of the blue and seems to progressively get worse or sharper...  If it worries you enough to ask about it, please make an appointment and go see a doc... better to be safe than sorry...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN