Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New path of life with Tamoxifen

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2016 at 11:20 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 537 Total Views
1 mom liked this
I had a benign mass removed from right breast and started taking tamoxifen to help prevent my developing breast cancer. My mom had multiple myeloma and ovarian cancer. She passed away. It was a difficult journey, and now I am here. So, I just want to talk to others who can share some information. I truly don't know what I'm seeking other than someone whose walking on my path. On a good note I just became a grandmother for the first time a month ago.
by on Oct. 20, 2016 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Lb128f
by on Oct. 21, 2016 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi ;-) and Welcome to the group. I'm Linda.

I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with this. And, too I'm sorry for the loss of your Mom. 

I don't know a lot about Tamoxifen but I'm sure some of the other Ladies will be around tomorrow. But, I did find this information online. 

Aromatase inhibitors (AIs) work by blocking an enzyme (aromatase) that is responsible for producing estrogen within the body in postmenopausal women (or women after menopause). ... Overall, these studies suggest that tamoxifen can prevent hormone-positive breast cancers from developing in women at risk for the disease.

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/medications-for-the-prevention-of-breast-cancer-beyond-the-basics

And, these...

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/moreinformation/medicinestoreducebreastcancer/medicines-to-reduce-breast-cancer-risk-tamoxifen-raloxifene

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/moreinformation/medicinestoreducebreastcancer/medicines-to-reduce-breast-cancer-risk-toc

We are here...feel free to talk about anything you want! I am glad your surgery went well and that you are here! And...

congratulationson being a Gram!

BL2010
by on Oct. 24, 2016 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Congratulation on becoming a grammy!

Crafting_Momma
by New Sister on Oct. 31, 2016 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Hello Vradybunch,

In 2012 I had a huge mass on my right breast and was told because of the location of where the mass was, that I needed surgery to remove my right breast. I also decided to let the doctor take my left breast as well just in case as well as I don't know how I would of handled to see one breast gone and one breast there. When I was having my mastectomy done, the doctors found 2 more masses that were living off of the big one that I knew about. After going through chemotherapy, I was put on Tamoxifen.

During my check up's I found out that I was gaining weight, I knew that it wasn't my eating habits because I never changed my eating habits so I kept trying to tell my doctors that it was the Tamoxifen that was making me gain weight. After awhile, they finally listened to me and took me off of Tamoxifen and put me on a pill called Lupron along with a monthly shot(because I'm not even 40 yet) As soon as the tamoxifen was out of my system, I started to lose weight.

Other then that, I didn't have any bad side effects. I am more "doctor friendly " now then I was before especially when I don't know what is wrong with me.

If there are any questions that you may have, please feel free to email me. I will be glad to help in any way I can
Lb128f
by on Oct. 31, 2016 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi and Welcome to the group! Glad you've joined! Thank you for jumping in and sharing your experience, it is appreciated! I'm glad the Doc's caught the masses you had and that you were able to get a Doc to listen to you regarding the Tamoxifen. Thank you too for offering your support, I think in times like these we want (and need) someone with experience to listen. I'm sure  Vradybunch will also be glad to see your reply!

Quoting Crafting_Momma: Hello Vradybunch, In 2012 I had a huge mass on my right breast and was told because of the location of where the mass was, that I needed surgery to remove my right breast. I also decided to let the doctor take my left breast as well just in case as well as I don't know how I would of handled to see one breast gone and one breast there. When I was having my mastectomy done, the doctors found 2 more masses that were living off of the big one that I knew about. After going through chemotherapy, I was put on Tamoxifen. During my check up's I found out that I was gaining weight, I knew that it wasn't my eating habits because I never changed my eating habits so I kept trying to tell my doctors that it was the Tamoxifen that was making me gain weight. After awhile, they finally listened to me and took me off of Tamoxifen and put me on a pill called Lupron along with a monthly shot(because I'm not even 40 yet) As soon as the tamoxifen was out of my system, I started to lose weight. Other then that, I didn't have any bad side effects. I am more "doctor friendly " now then I was before especially when I don't know what is wrong with me. If there are any questions that you may have, please feel free to email me. I will be glad to help in any way I can
Crafting_Momma
by New Sister on Oct. 31, 2016 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you! I know how it is to go through this and not have anyone to talk to. I was the first one in our family to get Cancer so no one knew what to do or say. Sadly, all the people who I thought were my friends, weren't. It's like, I got Cancer and everyone disappeared as if Cancer was contagious. It's sad how some people around you act or make you feel when you are going through something as cancer
Lb128f
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 12:07 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry you were alone during your time in need. Not that you were "alone" but you know what I mean. I understand what you are saying it's like  people don't know what to say so they don't say anything when in fact "we" don't even need them to say anything...just be there. I think unfortunately it happens a lot in a medical crisis and too there are some who are there for a couple of weeks then they "move on" also. Unless someone has actually experienced that feeling of being alone they don't seem to truly understand. That's why I'm glad you are here (in the group) and willing to help others...you DO understand! Thank you!

Quoting Crafting_Momma: Thank you! I know how it is to go through this and not have anyone to talk to. I was the first one in our family to get Cancer so no one knew what to do or say. Sadly, all the people who I thought were my friends, weren't. It's like, I got Cancer and everyone disappeared as if Cancer was contagious. It's sad how some people around you act or make you feel when you are going through something as cancer
jdnsmom29
by Sister on Jan. 6, 2017 at 12:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I thought this was only me. People disappeared so fast! It's sad. The one time you need them the most. But you learn a lot about yourself in this journey. And you know who to leave in the past chapters of your life. Though it's hard, we have warrior strength.  I have a superhero theme that has kept me going because I am battling it alone.

Quoting Crafting_Momma: Thank you! I know how it is to go through this and not have anyone to talk to. I was the first one in our family to get Cancer so no one knew what to do or say. Sadly, all the people who I thought were my friends, weren't. It's like, I got Cancer and everyone disappeared as if Cancer was contagious. It's sad how some people around you act or make you feel when you are going through something as cancer

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)