Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Direct line to God

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 7:39 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 140 Total Views

Is Jesus the only way to God?

by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 7:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
bandgeek521
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 3:26 PM

The "orthodox" opinion is that, yes, Jesus is the only way to God. That only by belief in Him and acceptance of the salvation He is believed to have given will give man the chance to know God.

Yet, at the risk of sounding "unChristian", or being accused of such, I have to admit that I am of the opinion that Jesus is not the only way to God.

I believe that all religions offer a different path to God, that all the religions' great teachers offer ways of understanding Him, and its up to us to decide for ourselves which "path" works best for us.

Each religion seeks to promote an understanding of ourselves, our purpose, and our lives, as well as that Something More. Each faith offers ways for us to cultivate virtues such as patience, compassion, forgiviness, love, and wisdom. And each faith is deeply concerned with the "bigger picture".

While the religions of the world do seem very different at a first glance, if you really get down into it you find there are many similarities and places of common ground. And I really do believe that the Something More each of them refers to is really the Same Something Christianity calls God.

I do believe that Jesus is a way to God - an excellent way. He is my preferred way, certainly, the one which I have the most understanding and experience. But I do believe that He is one of many. I don't believe He intended to hand a monopoly of faith over to His followers, but that He truly meant it when He said some day all the people of the world will worship God.

I know this doesn't quite fit into the orthodox way of thinking, and I do apologize if you think I'm trying to stir the pot. I accept that not everyone agrees with me, especially in Christian circles, so to cause drama is not my intention. I just thought I'd share the way I (and other Christian Universalists) see it.

If anyone is interested, though, I can offer more on this, either in this thread or in another, or in PM, or however you would like. I don't want to derail the thread, though, so unless its asked of me I won't go into it any further.

=)

"I believe Christians are called to be peacemakers, and respect every person as someone for whom Christ died." www.myspace.com/bandgeek521

cleanaturalady
by Group Owner on Jan. 28, 2010 at 7:35 AM

I do believe that Jesus is the only way to salvation.  I don't want to sound redundant by writing it all out here, so I will just link you to a journal I wrote about the subject.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1570810/Crisis_of_Conscience 

burkemom
by New Member on Mar. 16, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I personally feel it does not matter.  I do have friends say what call on the Holy Spirit when you can call on God himself.  At times I am speaking to God, then other times I am yell to the Holy Spirit to help me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)