Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baptism

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 150 Total Views

Does a person need to be baptized in order to be saved?

by on Aug. 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
logansmomma2007
by on Aug. 20, 2009 at 9:36 PM

I don't think water baptism is necessary. 

Jesus does say that one needs to born of the spirit to see the kingdom of God.  I am still trying to figure out the entire implication of that. 

Pregnancy ticker

Ang4him
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2009 at 11:57 PM

I don't believe you have to go through water baptism to be saved, as salvation comes from Faith, not by anything we do.  However, recently I can't help but wonder if the church has lost the importance of baptism.

When reading the New Testament I can't help but see the importance that was put on baptism.  Jesus insisted on having John baptise him prior to beginning his ministry (prior to his testing in the desert even).  In Acts baptism always immediately followed those who received salvation.  When the Ethiopian on the road finally understood the words of Isaiah and how they pointed to Jesus, he immediately asked to be baptized.

So although I don't believe it is necessary for salvation I do believe the early church and Jesus saw it as something very important.  I don't discount the classes that many churches offer prior to be baptized, but at the same time I have to wonder if maybe we are missing the mark a bit.  Still pondering this one.

bandgeek521
by on Aug. 24, 2009 at 6:54 PM

I always believed baptism is more a symbole of our dedication to Him, a symbol of our being washed clean and starting afresh in our walk with Him.

So, no, I don't believe that baptism, the symbol, is required, although I do believe that in the Christian faith, it is kind of important to experience what baptism symbolizes - God coming into your heart and washing you clean of sin, the moment of dedicating yourself to Him.

But you can have that happen without having to participate in a baptism, without having to make the external sign or symbol of it.

At least, IMO.

=)

momofsaee
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 12:27 PM

No but its an outward expression or symbol of an inner work of God. Most people who accept Christs sacrifice WANT to do this. It took me a long time to do it because I was so terrified of being in front of people....My dad baptized me about 10 yrs ago.

Godblessedmex4
by on Sep. 24, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Jesus told his followers: "Go and make disciples of people of all nations, Baptizing them." (Matthew 28:19)

Jesus himself set the exampleby being baptized in water. He was not sprinkled with water, and he did not just have some water poured over his head (Matthew 3:16)

The word biptize comes from a greek term meaning DIP. Christian baptism therefore means being fully dipped or immersed in water.

Water baptisim is a requirement for all who want to have a relationship with God. Baptism publicly indicates your desire to serve God. It showes that you are delighted to do Gods will. (Psalm 40:7&8)

Taken from the study guide,"What dose the Bible really teach?

I am a proud Christian woman who is the mother of four amazing children. I am the wife to a wonderful man who loves me with no limits. I choose to live my life walking in the steps the lord has set for me! I do not apologize for my anti abortion and anti gay marriage views, I do not apologize for breast feeding in public, for co sleeping or for NOT letting them "cry it out"!!

"God dose not hate you because of sin, he hates what sin dose to you" -Pastor Brennon Robison, Leander Assemblies of God-

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)