Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Take time for youself!

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:00 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 460 Total Views
Ok mommies, lets face it our lives can be stressful to say the least.  We all need to take time out for ourselves to regroup, relax, and release some tension.  If we don't take a little me time, things can get pretty ugly.  My mom almost worked herself to death before she turned 50.  She was caring for my grandmother that had a stroke, my great grandmother that in failing health (we later found out it was cancer), on top of that my teenaged sister just had a baby, so she was watching the baby, and she was watching my brothers baby.  We all helped her out, but just about everything fell on her.  On top of that I started a new job, but didn't have a car. 

*So her daily routine was help my grandmother get out of bed to get dressed
*Take my lil sis to school
*Take me to work
*My other neice would be there waiting for her when she got back
*So she had her mother, grand mother, a two year old and a new born in the house with her.
*And she and my father taught Sunday school for married and engaged couples, and was the head of Family Ministry
*and managing the finances for my g'ma

So, she developed bells palsy, which is basically paralysis in the face caused by stress, and she was also having chest pains off and on.

We finally got her to pull back on some things, and 3 years later she's doing great, but it could have turned out bad.

Us mommies tend to put everyone before ourselves.  But we have to take care   of ourselves.  Something as simple as taking a walk makes a big difference.  One of my favorite things to do to relax is take a mini vacation.  I suggest this to everyone. 
 Pulling My Hair Out Go from this to  Meditate
When the house has settled down:
Get some sort of tropical scented bubble bath
Relaxing music
Scented candles
LOCK THE DOOR
And take a mental vacation.
Finish off with a nice cup of tea.  I suggest TAZO "passion" it goes right along with the island theme of your vacation.
You'll be amased at how something this simple can take the stress away.
If you're one of those mommies that needs something to relax you and take hte edge off try valarian tea, it's made with valerian root (the same stuff they make valium from)
I urge all of you to take time out for you.  Think about how much chaos will happen if you're not around.  Women are dying younger and younger, and depression is rising, a lot of this can be avoided.

Creat your own space! My townhouse isn't that big, so my space is actually my bathroom. Even it's a little corner in a room, make it yours.

Have a stress releiver kit.  Loofa, bubble bath or gel, a nice cd (preferably with no words).  Have your own special towels nice big fluffy ones.  Calming candels, lavendar or something like that.  CVS has really nice ones that don't cost much. 

Once you close that door your vacation has started, don't think about what needs to be done, how bad your day was. Close your eyes and focus on the music.  Stay in as long as you can.  Get some nice soft scented lotion.  Finish off with a cup of tea.  When you've had a bad day, write your thoughts in a journal, that usually calms you down.  But DON"T do this after your bath.  Once you take that bath try not to do anything else that requires thought. 

by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Memigen
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:33 PM
This is an awesome idea, and I think I will most definately give it a try! = )  Thank you!

Jessica Laster
Proud Member of Motivated Moms And Working From Home Since 2007 Contact Me To Find Out More:
678-943-1940
memigen@yahoo.com
Or write me here on Cafemom! = )
onemomfivekids
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 8:18 PM
I must say that I do have that problem with taking time for myself.  I have five children and a husband who, although has come a long way in our relationship as my husband, he needs as much attention as the boys.  Two of my children have left home and went to college but my 16-6 yr. olds are Oh my... every one has different needs and I am one person.  I know you feel my pain.  I am  a P31 - Proverbs 31 Woman and I am glad of it, proud of it, and would not trade it for anything.  I do thank you for your comment and options.  God Bless.

Forever MELVYNA

sugarmommy
by on Dec. 18, 2007 at 10:48 PM
What i would do to be able to sit in a hot bubble bath with my favrorite cd and and a nice cold sundop. At the end of the day. I think i will have to try this one sometime or when i get the time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)