Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:28 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 401 Total Views
Ok so I went n got a blood test dun 2day bc of the 3 positive hpt test. Got 4 the results 15 mins ago. The test was negative. I wanted this so bad all I'm doin since I found out is cry.
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I'm sorry that's disappointing.  I've never heard of HPTs coming up positive but blood tests being negative.  How long has it been since your mc?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Sooo Sorry dont give up!!!

by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:31 PM
I m/c april 26th. My levels were tested may 11th n it was already down 2 .2 so it wouldn't b from that.
by New Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Am so sorry. please don't give up. I also have had two MCs and two D&C and just like you, I keep hoping am pregnant and every time I receive my periods my first reaction is anger, sometimes crying but then at the end of the day I thank and praise God that my body is still functioning normally.  God is great and surely I believe that one day He shall give us them babies. Lets be patient and keep praying and hope for the best.  Read Hebrews 11:1 and Mark 9:23-24.  Whenever I think of conceiving and how I can MC again I get soo afraid and on the other hand the thought of never getting a baby makes me even more afraid I turn to these bible verses and they comfort me. Hope they work miracles for you too.

by New Member on Jul. 14, 2010 at 7:45 AM

I am so sorry:( I know how you feel being so scared and hopeful then bad news comes. Just don't let it get you down to long. Your day will come and when it does you won't remember this. You will be in my prayers.

by Member on Jul. 14, 2010 at 8:18 AM

dont give up. we are all here for u

by on Jul. 14, 2010 at 6:33 PM

I'm so sorry.  :::Hugs:::

by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM

6. Could I have a false positive? Check out The Truth About False Positives for an in-depth look at false positives. Essentially, it is possible, but it's unlikely. If you get two lines, you're most likely pregnant. Exceptions: if you have been taking certain fertility meds with hCG, the test may be picking up the hCG from the meds and not an embryo. Also, some tests develop "positive" lines after the time limit. You should NOT read the test after the time limit (usually 10 minutes, but check the directions that came with the test.) Yes, this means you should throw the test away and NOT dig it out of the trash in three hours to see if a line magically appeared. And, if the "positive" line is gray or looks like a "dent" in the test, it is an evaporation line and not a true positive.

Lastly, if you have been pregnant recently, it's possible that the test is detecting residual hCG. However, if a pregnancy ends early on, it's unlikely that hCG will remain in your system very long, so most women have nothing to worry about here. (It's extremely common for women to conceive immediately following an early miscarriage; the body is "primed" for pregnancy, so to speak, and elevated progesterone left from the miscarriage gives the next embryo a great shot at a healthy implantation. So, most women really are detecting a new pregnancy.)

However, the more hCG you had in your system when the pregnancy ended, the longer it will take to dissipate. HPT's can even detect residual hCG for up to 6 weeks following a full-term birth. It's a possibility you should keep in mind if you get positive HPT results soon after a previous pregnancy ended.

30. My blood test was negative. Can I still be pregnant? Overall, blood tests are more accurate than urine tests because your blood cannot be too diluted (like urine) and does not require that your body metabolize hCG into your urine (which some women do slowly or, rarely, not at all.) But, in some circumstances, yes, you can be pregnant without a positive blood test.

There are two different kinds of blood pregnancy tests, known as qualitative and quantitative. A qualitative test measures the quality of your blood: either pregnant or not. The test is much like an HPT, except it uses your blood rather than your urine. It means the laboratory has a pre-set cutoff point for determining "pregnant." In some labs, a level of 5+ will come back as a positive test; in other labs, your blood must have 25+ mIU/mL of hCG. Usually the lab will not tell you what their cutoff point is; they will simply tell you yes or no, just like peeing on a stick. You may be pregnant, but just "a little" pregnant, and the blood test was not sensitive enough to detect it.

A quantitative blood test is much more specific; it measures the exact quantity of hCG in your bloodstream. Non-pregnant women of childbearing age have anywhere from 0-2 mIU/mL of hCG in their blood (average is about 0.5.) Generally anything over 5 is considered pregnant, though 3-4 is a "gray zone" (a little too much for normal non-pregnant, but not quite high enough to pass muster at the lab.) Peri- and post-menopausal women may have up to 9.5 mIU/mL of hCG. If you have this type of blood test performed, there is little doubt that the results are correct (barring lab error.) Exception: prior to implantation, the embryo does not secrete hCG and cannot be detected. Therefore, it is possible to be in the very early stages of pregnancy and still get a negative blood test.

by New Member on Jul. 16, 2010 at 8:54 AM
Was it a qualitative or quanitative blood test? A quantitative test (beta hCG) is highly accurate because it measures the volume of hormone - providing you with a number that reflects the amount in your system. Like HPT, a qualitative hCG blood test simply determines if hCG has reached a specific gravity or "positive threshold". HPT and the qualitative blood hCG test both function like a light switch (it's either on or off) giving you a "yes" or "no" answer to the big question. I would ask the doc which one you took and make sure that if it was the qualitative blood test that the levels were as sensitive as the HPT you were taking.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)