Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my dr & even the hospital betrayed me... do i have a case? my MC story...long

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:27 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 247 Total Views

Ok so I am posting this because I can not let my feelings of betrayal go. I need to know if I have a case or not.This is my MC story:

Back in December I found out I was pregnant with an OTC preg test and was super stoked! Started taking vitamins and eating better,taking care of myself. The night before christmas Friday the 24th, I started bleeding and got a little over whelmed. My husband kept me calm to avoid getting me too worked up when it could just be nothing. It stopped by Sunday and then came back on Monday the 27th so, I went to the hospital. They did an exam and ultrasound and told me that it was a hematoma and it was a 50/50% chance of MC. They said the baby had a strong heartbeat and everything looked good and that chances are it would just flush out and everything would be fine. Just told me to take it easy and not stress about it, as long as it stopped bleeding it would be ok. They said I was about 8 weeks along and at this stage anything can happen. The bleeding stopped the next day and everything seemed fine.

Made my first gyno appt and went up there (Jan 10th) with high hopes. They told me that it was probably just a blood clot (hematoma) and nothing to be concerned with that bleeding during preg is fairly common. The dr himself did an ultrasound and confirmed that now I was about 10 weeks preg. Side note: when he was doing it he said that "he has bad eyes so bare with him" and asked his nurse to help him find the botton to zoom on the heartbeat. She came over and they found it, saying that ," it was faint but definately there and at this early on the heartbeat can be hard to spot". He told me to check back in 2 weeks and to see the ultrasound tech.

I came back in 2 weeks (the 17th) and the ultrasound tech was not there... they didnt call me or reschedule they just left me hanging and instead I just saw the dr again. He did an exam and said that at this point I was 12 weeks the lil one was definately getting bigger he could start to feel him in the womb and everything felt good.

I came back in 3 days (the 20th) and saw the tech she looked and looked using the vaginal ultrasound and finally dropped her head and said, "Im sorry you dont have a baby inside you. he has passed over 6 wks ago. You would be about 10 weeks but the baby is so small I believe he passed over 6 weeks ago." I was absolutely devistated.. I was concerned about the hematoma but all this time I had been lead to believe that my baby was still alive, growing, and in fact had a strong beating heartbeat. What happened? When? Had they been lying to me this whole time? Or do they just not know how to read an ultrasound? Was it his bad eye sight?

In a nutshell ... In the end it had been 4 weeks since I went to the hospital on Dec 24th and according to them and the gyno I was 12wks, with a healthy baby and a hematoma that was semi normal, nothing to worry about. BUT in reality I was void of a fetus, and had been THE WHOLE TIME. If the baby had passed 6 weeks ago then this whole time there WAS NO BABY. how did they see a heartbeat at all? I was not only upset about losing the baby I was betrayed and lied to by several drs and hospital personell. I had a D&C done after fighting for an appt. (thats a whole nother story) on Feb 1st. Since then I have recovered well. I am only angry that at the situation. Angry that they put me at risk for infection having a dead fetus in me for 6 weeks. Angry that they fed me full of positive happy lies and made me really believe that everything was going to be ok, when I could feel that something was not right.

I went to the same dr one more time for the D&C follow up and he was very short with me and I asked him if there were any tests we could do to prepare for next time? (I had an abortion when I was young and thought maybe something isnt right in there) He replied to my request with,"well we usually dont test for things until after your second MC. So let us know when your pregnant again." Do I really have to go through that again to find out if its possible for me to have a child? My childhood abortion was rough and they told me that I might not be able to concieve. I just need some peace of mind.

My question to you all is do you think I should sue the hospital and/or the dr for emotional stress? Or does this happen? Do I have a case or were they justified? Anyone have advice?

by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
vjosa
by New Member on May. 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I had  the  same  case somehow and  i  know  what you  feel  right  now. I  had  cramping  and horrible  pain  and  the  Dc said    it is  normal and ok most  important the  baby  is  doing  fine  are  you  crazy why  do you  make  such  a  big  deal  out  of  it- the words  i  was  addressed  with .I  just  couldn't  let go  of the  feeling  that  something  was  wrong and  made  an  appointment  in  a  other  hospital  with a other doctor. Result -  dead  baby for 2 weeks. This  folloed  by  checkups from  2 more gyn. and  they  all confirmed  the  same thing. Dead  baby  no  heart  beat. That  same  day  that I  was  insured that the  baby  had  no  hard  beat  for  more  than 2  weeks and  that  the  pain was as a  result  of an  internal  infection and if  I didn't  had  an abortion  right  away  in  the  next  days  I  would  end  up  with a blood  poisoning  in  the entire  system opening  the  gates for  a  lot  of  other  complications. So  that very  day  I  went to  the  doctor  who said  everything  was  ok  and said  i  was  not  feeling  fine  i  wanted a   check up. As  usual she said  everything  is  fine. Are u  shore does  the  baby  have  a  hard  beat  I  asked  several  times. Yes  was  the  answer .  than  I  showed  medical papers  and  asked  then  what  that  meant  was  there a  possibility  that  actually  not  one but  three doctors  can  be  wrong   and  she  was  right?????????Believe  me I  didn't  sue  her but  she  wished  I  did. I  made  all her  patients  know  what  they  were  dealing  with.I  recommend  under  no  circumstances  you  should even  go  to that  person  again  get informed  and  find a  good  doctor. I  am very  pleased  with  my  gyn  now  he  helped  me a lot   after  the  MC while  I  was  trying  to  get  pregnant  and  now  with  the  baby  I  am  23 weeks now   one  can  really  tell  the  difference .

kena2ck
by New Member on May. 24, 2011 at 3:38 AM

I had the same situation, not to worry dear, God will make up. We will carry healthy babies to term. Hope you feel better soon. Baby dust to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)