Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Re-testing HCG levels after miscarriage

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 268 Total Views

My husband and I recently had a miscarriage, back in September.  After having a full week of excruciating pain and labor, I had a D&C done.  They sent in the tissue to see what caused it and it came back "inconslusive" and my doctor said I need to have my HCG levels tested monthly now, and we have to have a negative HCG level for a consecutive 6 months before we can try to conceive another baby again.  Has anyone heard of this?  I'm not understanding, and very frustrated.  I cannot find anything about this on any type of fertility or miscarriage sites.  If I have a normal HCG level, why would I not be able to try to conceive again?  Has anyone had this happen to them as well?

by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
kayteebug93
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM
Sorry this doesn't make sense to me.. my Dr said we can try after I get my first period... I had a d&c too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pwo02
by New Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:21 AM
After they sent the tissue to pathology, it came back with characteristics of a partial molar, but was inconclusive. I've been getting my blood tested monthly and have to do this now for six months to make sure my HCG level stays down. If it stays down for 6 months, then we can try again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Zealand2008
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:48 PM
My doctor doesn't even want to check my HCG levels. Guess he feels my period will be an indicator of normal hormones. He said we can start trying whenever. He said there's no medical evidence that shows waiting has any benefit or harm. Of course I also have another doctor who wants me to wait 2 months so my body has time to heal. Doctors don't even agree so no wonder WE are confused.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)