Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Self-Introduction

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:52 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 295 Total Views

Hello fellow psych majors!

My name is Ruth and I just completed my Bachelor's degree in Psych with Kaplan University. My next step is to start on my Master's degree in Community Counseling at my local university, but I won't be accepted into their program until August 2011. Until then, I am looking for work as a mental health technician, preferrably in a hospital-based psych unit, but local mental health agencies would be just as good.

This is a late-in-life career move for me. I've been a full-time, stay-at-home mom for over thirty years now, but my kids are grown (the youngest is 21) and it's time to move on.

I truly enjoy studying psychology and for my final project to earn my bachelor's degree, I had to create a fictional mental health client, and then create an entire file for them, including intake interview notes, assessments, DSM-IV-TR diagnosis, recommendations, a formal treatment plan, and even mock therapy session notes. I got a perfect score on that assignment and it made me all the more eager to start working in the field!

A tip to those working on their degrees: Invest in some psych reference books that therapists, counselors, etc. use. It helped a lot with assignments. I recommend the following:

American Psychiatric Association (2000). Desk Reference to the Diagnostic Criteria from DSM-IV-TR. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association.

Zimmerman, M. (1994). Interview Guide for Evaluating DSM-IV Psychiatric Disorders and the Mental Status Examination. East Greenwich, RI: Psych Products Press.

Groth-Marnat, G. (1997). Handbook of Psychological Assessment (3rd ed.). New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Also beneficial is the APA Publication Manual for assistance with using APA formatting as well as any of the books by Arthur E. Jongsma (the various treatment planners, homework planners, etc.).

I look forward to getting to know all of you...my colleagues!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Mria1964
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Nice to meet you. Welcome to the group and thanks for the recommended reference material.

psych_mom
by Group Owner on Sep. 29, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Welcome to the group! Thanks for the recommendations. Feel free to post any time. I try to check the group daily, but I'm not always able too. We're not a group that is super active because we are all busy with family, school, and for some, work, but we know that if we have a question, or just need to vent about a class, the group is here. Hope you enjoy:)

Pinkstr56
by Group Admin on Sep. 30, 2010 at 1:41 PM

It is nice to meet you and thanks for the references. The APA manual has really come in handy for me, since I feel like I am always writing papers. I look forward to getting to know you and hearing about your school experience!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)