Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you make a living? =/

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:48 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 397 Total Views

I'm a single stay at home mom to 2 boys, one not due untill August and I don't get any help from either of the "dad's". Finding a job has been a real pain for me, I've been trying so hard but no luck yet so I thought I'd come here and ask what some of you single mommies do for a living to make it on your own?

I've thought about joining the Slumber Parties business because I have a friend who's in it & she makes quite a bit but I need $250 to start so I thought of making crafts such as baby blankets, photo albums, decorated wipee cases etc, just to get my foot in the door on some income. Have any of you tried that? Any advice for this struggling momma? =/

by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Lisse_2006
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a freelance writer. I write for a few different clients on various topics. I am also image auditor for a publishing compnay part time. 

DDDaysh
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

What education, qualifications, or skill sets do you have?  I really don't know much about the whole craft industry, and I wasn't able to stay home with my own son, so I can't really help you much there.  

I've done alot of things since DS was born.  I was a teacher, but quit to stay home with him and my former SD.  This was a move that ex and I had agreed upon, but he left right after I had turned in my notice.  I became a substitute teacher for a little while just to keep the bare necessities paid, but teaching full time as a single mom to a child with his health issues wasn't going to work.  I ended up working a few years in the accounting department of a publishing company, and went back to graduate school to get an MBA at night.  Now I'm making a good living doing some niche accounting/consulting with a small firm.  I get some CS from DS's father, but it is inconsistent, but my salary allows me to support him on my own when I need to.   

kayshalea
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I work full time

strongerwtime
by Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Never heard of it..but if you know someone who has hadsome success with it..I say its worth a try...kuddos for looking into using your gift in crafts to make a living...

I currently work outside the home as a Marketing Coordinator for a nonprofit....but I do sing on the side...and lately I have gotten into decorating for small parties..like birthdays, baby showers...its fun being creative...havent made a fortune but in the processof making cards and just putting the word out on the street. 

So I say go for it.

tafania
by Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 5:57 PM

We looking for highly motivated individuals with strong leadership skills to join my team. We are an American company with an exquisite track record and a 95% reorder rate.

This opportunity requires the ability to communicate with people by phone and face-to-face.

This Position is a work at home job with a 1099.

To request more information please go to www.BeHomeNow.biz

kat8156231119
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:49 AM

BUMP!

ErinDeNis
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I know what you mean.  Its hard out there when you are doing it by yourself.  I am a short sale and marketing rep for a real estate group (self employed).  But then I also freelance write, things like blog articles, business plans, resumes, research literature, social media marketing, marketing and sales letters, etc.  I also have a blog called grownandradiant.com and I also blog with the Empower Network, which I actually think is pretty great.  I personally think Network marketing is very lucrative to get into, its all about finding a niche for you that has the best strategies and training programs. 

ilovemydarlins
by New Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I've been trying to find a job too for the past like 6 months. I couldn't find anything so I decided to become a caregiver. You do need a bit of money to get started in the business, you need your cpr class and fingerprints but, you can always talk to people and they might help you out or hire you and then let you get that stuff when you get paid. If you're not into that type of things there's TONS of stuff you can do from home. You just have to be creative. Think like cooking, baking, crafts, babysitting, I was just saying on one of my last replies they sell those kits to cut out the fruit and stuff and you can make your own gift baskets like Edible Arrangements and make bank off those lol. There's always something to do, put out fliers for housecleaning etc. Try selling AVON or something too if you're outgoing it's good for some extra cash.

achavez219
by New Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:20 AM
I know how hard it can be! I have 2 girls & it gets expensive :-/ I have a full time job & I started my own Mary Kay business. It's good income to supplement my full time job & hopefully I can replace it altogether. I know not everyone is into the sales thing (believe me I'm not a sales person). I like to think of it as just telling ppl what products I love (which I honestly do). If you're interested in just hearing more about it, let me know :) I'll even throw in a free eyeshadow just for taking the time to let me answer your questions :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)