Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids and eye exams, did you know?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:18 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 149 Total Views

I suspected my DD was having some prob with her vision, so at her Dr's appt for her school physical (she will go to kindergarten this yr) she did the little eye chart test. I could tell she was struggling too much, but the Dr. said her eyesight wasn't too bad for her age. Then he said unless you have concerns she doesn't need to be checked. I said I WAS concerned and told him the reason why. So he referred us to a pediatric eye Dr.. Well low and behold she had to get glasses! I would love to tell him " I told you so"! LOL.

When I took her for an eye exam, while doing the paperwork the receptionist asked if she had been checked before. I said no, I didn't know they should be at that age. She said kids should see the eye Dr at 1, 3, AND 5 yrs old! I had no clue! Did you know this?

So I went ahead and made an appointment for my 3 yr old for the same day. Well guess what?!?! He needed glasses too! I was so upset I cried. My poor little girl really needed them, she put them on and immediately I could tell an improvement, then she went "look mom", and raised them up above and off of her eyes and said "blurry", put them back on her eyes, and said "not blurry". I'm so glad we found out b4 she started school! She prob would have struggled. She wears them with no problem mostly because she can actually see now!

I don't think my 3 yr old sons eyes are as bad as hers, we will see, he gets his glasses Monday. IDK how on earth I will get him to wear them though. He threw a fit just trying them on, he only wanted sunglasses! LOL.

Do any of you have little ones with glasses? How old were they when they got them? And how can I make him wear them?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Ricanmami1
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:33 AM

no my son hasnt went to the eye doctor yet but you they have glases that can change like sunglasses light to dark but i dont know if they have any for kids

SweetLykCarmel

FloridaGurl4
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:08 AM

When I took my older girls he told me that they should get checked when they are about to start school. I ddn't get them checked until it was time for them to start school. I never heard of them getting checked that early..

jayken
by Group owner on Mar. 31, 2011 at 3:26 PM

I think your talking about transition lenses, I have them and love them. Yes, kids can get them because they just put some kinda coating on the lenses, but they are very expensive. And IDK yet if I can even get my 3yr old to wear his. He hates them! This is not fun for us. LOL 

Quoting Ricanmami1:

no my son hasnt went to the eye doctor yet but you they have glases that can change like sunglasses light to dark but i dont know if they have any for kids

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)