Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hi im new :D

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:31 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 338 Total Views

hello! my name is Lorraine and im a new aquarium owner. my brother and sister in law forclosed on their house so they gave me their 33 gallon fish tank. ive had only bettas in the past so im pretty much lost with these new fish. they gave us 6 tiger barbs along with the fish tank. im not sure what else i can put in there if anything? also they told me to buy a chinese algae eater, and we did but he some how dissapeared?? i dont see him anywhere in there and his body is not floating up at the top so im unsure of what happened to him. its been like 3 days since i seen him and im thinking maybe he died and the tiger barbs ate him? is that even possible? anyways just wanted to introduce myself and my fish hehe here is a pic of my tank, i have since added a fake plant and dropped live plant bulbs in the bottom in different places which the package says takes up to 30 days to grow, one is already starting to show a root or something sticking out lol.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
nowaygourmet
by Group Owner on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Quoting mrslolo83:

hello! my name is Lorraine and im a new aquarium owner. my brother and sister in law forclosed on their house so they gave me their 33 gallon fish tank. ive had only bettas in the past so im pretty much lost with these new fish. they gave us 6 tiger barbs along with the fish tank. im not sure what else i can put in there if anything? also they told me to buy a chinese algae eater, and we did but he some how dissapeared?? i dont see him anywhere in there and his body is not floating up at the top so im unsure of what happened to him. its been like 3 days since i seen him and im thinking maybe he died and the tiger barbs ate him? is that even possible? anyways just wanted to introduce myself and my fish hehe here is a pic of my tank, i have since added a fake plant and dropped live plant bulbs in the bottom in different places which the package says takes up to 30 days to grow, one is already starting to show a root or something sticking out lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nowaygourmet
by Group Owner on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:29 PM
silly phone darn buttons lol. hi lorraine, lovely 2 meet u. i am happy 2 have u joined us here. wow, a 33g is big 4 a beginner but ur guna love it! it is beautiful thanks 4 sharing.

its been a long time since ive had a tiger barb but if i remember correctly they are territorial & pick on other fish. i would call ur local pet store & ask b4 adding anything else. as far as the chinese cleaning fish he may be in hiding (are there hiding places 4 him?) or if he died the tiger barbs could have eaten him if he isnt stuck up in the filter. they love 2 hide in filters. fish decay fairly quickly so its possible not 2 even notice they are gone til u look 4 them. im good at losing snails that way cuz they hide 4 days at a time. when u put him in ur tank did u let the bag float for awhile? thats important so the water temp can be close enuf not 2 shock them. fish are delicate & die very easily from shock. did u get algae discs for him 2 eat? they dont eat the same food as ur tiger barbs. let me know if he reappears.

Quoting mrslolo83:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrslolo83
by New Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:44 PM
I didn't know to let the bag float so nope I didn't do that but I've had him since august 9th and he has been fine. The guy at petsmart said that they can only be with other tiger barbs. I've read online of people having them with other fish so I don't know what he was talking about lol. Walmart doesn't have tiger barbs not sure if petsmart does, I only got the algae eater (he didn't eat algae though) he stayed at the bottom sucking on rocks lol there is no where for him to hide that I can't see him. I checked the filter and he's not in there either. I can't get a pleco? Somthing algae eater because the tiger barbs will nip at his fins and according to the petsmart guy my tank is too small for one. I'm nervous to get another algae eater if the tiger barbs are going to keep eating them :( they lived in harmony for 3 weeks or so, I didn't know algae discs existed lol. My tank is clean do I really need an algae eater? Thanks for all your help :D ur awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nowaygourmet
by Group Owner on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:35 PM
if u didnt have algae discs & ur tank is clean he probably starved 2 death as there is nothing 4 him 2 eat. their mouth is different so they cant eat flakes or pellets like regfular fish. plecos need very large tanks. the ones u see at the store are babies? plecos get 2 be very large & need a minimum of 75g 2 keep healthy & have enuf room. i know someone whose pleco has outgrown her 55g tank. ur tank ok 4 a cory cat. they are algae eaters but dont suck themselves 2 the glass they are bottom feeders. they stay small at like 3-4 inches. some dont get that big. they are also cheaper. u will still need 2 get algae discs for a cory cat. idk if the tiger barbs will pick on it or not it all depends on the fish & some pick back. i suggest getting a couple of large snails instead. they will keep the the algae down & wont be bothered by the fish. dont get the tiny brown snails they will take over ur tank. snails usually run from $2-$5 depending on the size & the place u purchase them.

Quoting mrslolo83:

I didn't know to let the bag float so nope I didn't do that but I've had him since august 9th and he has been fine. The guy at petsmart said that they can only be with other tiger barbs. I've read online of people having them with other fish so I don't know what he was talking about lol. Walmart doesn't have tiger barbs not sure if petsmart does, I only got the algae eater (he didn't eat algae though) he stayed at the bottom sucking on rocks lol there is no where for him to hide that I can't see him. I checked the filter and he's not in there either. I can't get a pleco? Somthing algae eater because the tiger barbs will nip at his fins and according to the petsmart guy my tank is too small for one. I'm nervous to get another algae eater if the tiger barbs are going to keep eating them :( they lived in harmony for 3 weeks or so, I didn't know algae discs existed lol. My tank is clean do I really need an algae eater? Thanks for all your help :D ur awesome!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)