Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Triggers Migraines

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:01 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 223 Total Views

A migraine starts with abnormal electrical activity in the cebebral cortex, the thinking part of the brain. It spreads quickly to the hypothalamus and the midbrain.  Levels of the brain chemical seratonin rise and then drop sharply, making blood vessels swollen and inflamed. Though the migraine predisposition is inherited, most individual attacks are triggered either by dietary or enviromental factors....

• Alcohol ( Especially beer and red wine)
  • Erractic meal and/or sleep schedules
  • Artificial sweeteners aspartame (Nutrisweet)
  • The flavor enhancer monosodium glutamate (MSG)
  • Processed meats and other foods containing the preservatives nitrates or nitrites
  • Aged cheeses, freshly baked bread,chopped liver and other foods that contain the amino acid thramine....and chocolate, which contains phenylethylamine.
  • Perfume or cigarette smoke
  • Caffeine withdrawl. To avoid trouble, it's best to have no more than one five-ounce cup of coffee a day.
  • Psychological Stress. Most migraines occur when the period of stress is over. That's why migrianes are common after exams or holidays.

Visit "Daily Nutritional Tips" for weight loss tips

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MamasGirls4ever
by Group Owner on Oct. 17, 2009 at 9:59 PM

I am very smell sensitive...if I have a small headache and I smell something strong or irratating it goes straight to migraine...its terrible

Beatlemama
by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 12:23 AM

I've just recently begun having migraines, so I am still trying to figure out what my triggers are.  I have quit eating or drinking anything with aspartame (as of 1 week ago) and I am slowly weaning myself off caffiene.  This post was helpful because it gave me some other possible triggers to be aware of.

Herbalife
by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Quoting Beatlemama:

I've just recently begun having migraines, so I am still trying to figure out what my triggers are.  I have quit eating or drinking anything with aspartame (as of 1 week ago) and I am slowly weaning myself off caffiene.  This post was helpful because it gave me some other possible triggers to be aware of.

Glad that I was able to give some suggestions of what else to be aware of in your daily living.  Three things that really helped me was I started to eat consistently at the same time everyday, eating healthier, and I also included some Omega-3.  Omega-3 has awesome health benefits, also it helps with inflammation (migraines,headaches, arthritis etc)..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)