Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heterotopia

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 331 Total Views

My 6 year old had eye surgery on Friday and she also had an MRI done. The eye surgeon called me today with results of the MRI. He said her eye was fine but there was a brain abnormality that falls outside his area of expertise. He didn't read the whole report because it is very technical, but he mentioned Heterotopia. Has anyone ever heard of this? From what I gather it is when some nerve cells in the brain form in the wrong place. It "almost always" results in epilepsy that starts usually between 6-13 years old. There isn't a ton of info that I could find and our neurologist hasn't called me back. Any info is appreciated!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
newmommy-again
by Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Here is the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_matter_heterotopia.  Have you tried WebMD?  Your neurologist is the best person to talk to and he/she is probably reviewing the report and having the images looked at again.  It's tough to wait, but if you don't hear anything from neuro, call them Friday morning and push to have someone call you back that day - a week is long enough.

Overshadowing all this is the good news on her eye.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)