Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think we figured it out!

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 212 Total Views
So, my daughter is 9 months old, and I think we finally figured out what her hypotonia was caused by. I mentioned before that she had a velamentous cord insertion, and more and more, I'm thinking there was intermittent cord compression during my labor. The last hour of my delivery, I spent with oxygen on my face because during each contraction, my daughter's heartrate would drop, only to come back up at the end of the contraction.

Her hypotonia is the extent of her special needs. She was developmentally delayed as a newborn, but is now right on track. My concern, though, is that that cord compression could cause problems down the road, and I would like to jump on that before an issue comes up. Is there any testing I can request our pediatrician do, or any resources I can look at?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
busymom3910
by Member on Dec. 2, 2011 at 8:27 PM

My daughter has hypotonia also but for genetic reasons and she has a physical therapist and an occupational therapist. Does your daughter see a therapist to help with muscle strength?

ashleigheg
by Member on Dec. 2, 2011 at 9:33 PM
No, our pediatrician has never mentioned it because her tone has improved so drastically over the last 9 months. Strength has never been an issue, just tone.

We thought, at first, that her hypotonia was genetics. DH had severe hypotonia as an infant, so it made sense. But, the drastic improvement we've seen says acute trauma to me, not genetics, KWIM?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmommy-again
by Member on Dec. 12, 2011 at 7:55 PM

I was still see about getting a PT eval on the tone issue...better to catch it early than late.  Call early intervention to get the eval done - should be no cost, and shouldn't need a referral.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)