Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is anyone else dealing with or just started dealing with the school system? I feel overwhelmed.

Posted by   + Show Post

I had my first meeting with the school district in my area last week, and I felt very trod upon after sharing my views of what I wanted done for my son. It was the director for the special ed services for pre-school kids, a woman from the county, and a person from the evaluation therapy service that we used. It was NOT the person who actually evaluated my son, because that person is out on maternity leave. I guess what I'm trying to ask, is, has anyone else been made to feel "stupid" for having an idea already of what you wanted done, or were they walking all over me because I don't have a very assertive personality?embarrassed

Thanks for reading.

PS - It is a Montessori preschool program I want to enroll him in and have them insert services into.

PPS - Sorry, let me just add that the preschool program is attached to the college I'm going to, and we've already been to view it and he absolutely adored it there, as well as the professors running it have special ed backgrounds too!

by on Dec. 11, 2011 at 2:09 PM
Replies (11-13):
Ralenth
by New Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 5:20 AM

He seems to regard the therapy as play and actually gets extremely upset when the therapist (of whatever sort) leaves. We've started services at home until the 17th when he'll go to the daycare.

karamille
by Member on Jan. 10, 2012 at 2:26 PM

OMG.... our schools "exceptional children" program is a joke.  Ike should transition out of first steps on the 28th of this month and into their services.  I have called multiple times since the first of december and I just heard back last wednesday and they said i HAD TO bring Ike in the very next.  So we went.  Did a speech eval.  Close to the end of the meeting - like 5/10 minutes left in our time slot, she asked if I had any other concerns.  I said no not at this time but LDs are common with his genetic condition so its something we need to watch out for.  She says... I kid you not... "what genetic condition?"  OMG.  Shoot me now.  I called our first steps coordinator when I get out to the van and asked her what all was sent over on Ike because they didn't know about his genetic condition.  She said she had sent his entire packet over.... TWICE!  So I get home and there's like 3 messages from the director of "exceptional children" telling me I need to come right back in and fill out a bunch of paperwork so they can do a full workup and contact his dr.  What a bunch of f*ckups running that program.  I am so glad I have secured speech therapy for Ike thru a university and 40 min away.  I'll pay $200 per semester, but he'll get 1 hour of speech 2x a week.

newmommy-again
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I saw this article and wanted to pass it along.  Hope it helps with the IEP issues

http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/iep.index.htm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)