Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Standing?Self feeding ideas

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 259 Total Views

Hello all....

Our daughter Tegan just turned 3 and overall has came a long way and is doing great.  However she still refuses to feed herself.  She seems capable now and has the motor skills but just will not do it.  Any suggestions??

Also her tone as improved alot but she is still not bearing weight.  Her thighs have alot of muscle from crawling, but her calves and ankles buckle or she keeps her legs up when we try to have her bear weight.\

Any ideas from other parents would be great!  Thanks!

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
sarahw06219
by Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I'm not sure about the self-feeding, my only idea would be to give her something she really likes then basically refuse to feed her, so she HAS to feed herself if she wants it?  This, of course, would only work if she's truly capable and if she would be emotionally able to handle frustration etc. 

With the refusal to bear weight- do you think there's a sensory issue with her feet?  Like she maybe doesn't like the texture of carpet or the temperature of a tile floor, etc.  Massaging her feet and doing other de-sensitizing exercises could help if that's the issue.  I only thought of this because my older son would lift his legs and refuse to stand on grass when he was a toddler, even though he walked independently everywhere else.

newmommy-again
by Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM
HaHa! Sorry about laughing but this sounds like my son! My stubborn and my way or no way!

Have you tried a stander with her (a piece of equipment to help her stand)?

Are her thigh muscles too tight so that it hurts to stand? Massage may help too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Icesfire
by Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Have you talk with you doc about it you little one may need some help in walking like physical therapy to get those calves and ankles muscle working? as for the feeding I've find my little one don't like spoons but when I let her eat with out she has no problem.  Also when her dad has her she eat with a spoon with out any problem so it could be the spoon I have or just me. LOL try switch type of spoons till you get one she like.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)