Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 2 year old hardly talks and I don't know if it will get better

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 367 Total Views
I have a 28 month old boy and he has been in developmental therapy and speech therapy for almost 4 months. Everyone says he's just behind and not to worry but I see only little improvement. Well there is a lot of improvement but it's not consistent . A lot of what he says is out of context like he calls all shapes stars. He has very little communication skills a few words and signs but not much. Has anyone delt with this and how did your child do later in life. Will he need special attention his whole life?
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
newmommy-again
by Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Have they checked his hearing or vision? Sometimes those can affect speech. Does he have any other medical or developmental issues?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steph_G.
by Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Was he using any words before he started therapy? When kids first start using words they over generalize them, like calling all meat chicken. If in four months you are picking up a bunch of new words, they are just over generalized, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just give it some time.

andersonmommy2
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this

My son is the same way. All shapes are stars and we are still working on colors and such. He knows all his body parts though and is still working on more words. In Dec he only had about 20words introduced him to a speech therapists and she taught me how to work with him and now he has about 200 or more words. He is now learning how to make little sentences with the words he knows. It is hard and I know your frustration. Just work with one thing at a time and switch to something new once they learn that group. We have been trying to do this and sometimes it is hard when their attention is not wanting to learn that yet. Hang in there. We are still working on our lil boy.

scarykiddiemom
by New Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I have been there and am still there...please check out scarykiddie.com for some of my thoughts on this topic which I just recently created.   I hope it is helpful. 

lifetimelove
by Group Owner on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:45 PM

My son is a "typical" two year old.  He doesn't identify any shapes or colors and has a very limited vocabulary.  My oldest son (now almost 6) is classified gifted and at 2 he didn't name shapes and only identified yellow and didn't speak until he had speech therapy at 2 1/2.  

You can't say now at the age of two what it means when they have limited vocabulary.  It's quite possible he is focused on other skills.  Just do the therapy and encourage him and don't get stressed out about it.

MrsLondon
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Md dd2 (3) is in speech right now. She is starting to develop forming sentences a little more now but it's still a struggle. It's just hard watching other kids talk so well and she can't communicate fully. :( She identifies colors but doesn't get them right. She does pretty good with the basic shapes (circle, square, triangle). I can't get her on track with her numbers and letters it seems. She'll count 1 and 2 and then jump to ten.

I remember my oldest having issues at this age as well and eventually it straightened out. I don't remember her starting off this slow though and she had more of an issue with her sounds then vocabulary. DD2 is having issues forming the vocabulary. 

If you tell to ask for a cookie using " May I have a Cookie please.", instead she'll just pick up the tail end of what you say. So she'll repeat " Cookie please". All they said is that she had a language delay but they didn't give a reason and they say they don't have a reason. 

As a parent it's hard because I start to feel like it's my fault. Maybe I let her watch too much Sesame street or I didn't work with her on her talking soon enough... Idk. I just get sad sometimes. So I know how you feel.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)