Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Late update

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 369 Total Views
Well, our pediatrician does not think Cailyn falls on the spectrum, but I still think she does. The ped diagnosed her with a significant speech delay and has referred us to EI(which I NEED to remember to set up tomorrow). She said her concern was not in Cailyn's lack of speech(only a few consistent words - dog(daaaaaah), mama, dada, hi, why, yeah), but the fact that she has regressed from speaking 10-15 words to the few she does.

We have noticed that when she gets upset, she waves her hands in the air while she cries, and doesn't stop until you pick her up and get her attention(quite a feat in and of itself).

Now, her understanding is amazing, however. She can respond to requests(where is the dog, where is daddy, where is your belly button, etc), responds to long commands(go put your toy away and come back for dinner, sit down, arms up, give me your hand, etc), knows all of the alphabet by sight(points to letters when you ask), knows lots of animals(again, points when asked). So, I'm really not sure what to think at this point. Do I just have a stubborn child who doesn't want to talk? Or should I pursue more?

Oh, and also, she doesn't like to engage with other kids. She'll approach them, but just wanders off and plays in the dirt or grass instead of playing, or hits them and walks off to play by herself(we're working on gentle touch right now).

Sorry this is all over the place. It's late, I'm tired, and we've had a long, tantrum filled day!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
newmommy-again
by Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 7:38 AM
Don't forget to call EI!

And be persistant. A visit to a developmental ped may be in order.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahw06219
by Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I agree that a developmental pedi would be a good thing; in our system, there's one provided by EI during the evaluation process.  I think you're on the right track with EI, they'll get you to the necessary doctors, etc.  The good news is that she's understanding so much, the capabilities and intelligence are there!!

ashleigheg
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:24 PM
She is WICKED smart! It scares me! This morning, I asked her if she was hungry, she walked over to the fridge, waited until I opened it, grabbed herself a yogurt and cottage cheese, and pointed to her chocolate milk(it was too high to reach for her), then closed the fridge, walked over to the silverware drawer and waited for me to grab her spoon. And, last night, DH was reading Brown Bear, Brown Bear to her, and when it got to the purple cat, she went "meow!"

Quoting sarahw06219:

I agree that a developmental pedi would be a good thing; in our system, there's one provided by EI during the evaluation process.  I think you're on the right track with EI, they'll get you to the necessary doctors, etc.  The good news is that she's understanding so much, the capabilities and intelligence are there!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmommy-again
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Has anyone mentioned mutism?

Glad to hear that she understands and is smart!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleigheg
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:10 AM
I'm assuming you meant autism? And no, not yet. Our evaluation is the 16th, and I plan to talk to them more about it then.

Quoting newmommy-again:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by Group Owner on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Have you been referred to a developmental pediatrician?  I would insist on the referral, I don't think a general pediatrician has the expertise to make this kind of diagnosis.

Do you have an iPad?  Have you tried some of the simple communication apps on there?

ashleigheg
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:24 PM
We don't have an iPad, just 2 smart phones.

I am going to email our regular ped this weekend and ask for a referral to the developmental ped in the practice.

Quoting lifetimelove:

Have you been referred to a developmental pediatrician?  I would insist on the referral, I don't think a general pediatrician has the expertise to make this kind of diagnosis.

Do you have an iPad?  Have you tried some of the simple communication apps on there?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmommy-again
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM
I wasn't thinking autism, I was thinking selective mutism - when kids don't or can't talk in certain situations.

Quoting ashleigheg:

I'm assuming you meant autism? And no, not yet. Our evaluation is the 16th, and I plan to talk to them more about it then.

Quoting newmommy-again:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleigheg
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:20 PM
I don't think that's it. She just doesn't say more than the few words she does, ever.

Quoting newmommy-again:

I wasn't thinking autism, I was thinking selective mutism - when kids don't or can't talk in certain situations.

Quoting ashleigheg:

Quoting newmommy-again:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN