Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The ADHD Health Care Team

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:44 PM
  • 0 Replies
  • 345 Total Views

When seeking an evaluation or treatment for ADHD, it is important to see a qualified health care professional who has experience in dealing with this disorder.

There are several types of professionals who typically diagnose ADHD. These include doctors (especially psychiatrists, pediatricians, internists, and family physicians), psychologists, social workers, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and other licensed therapists (for example, professional counselors and marriage and family therapists).

While all of the above professionals can provide treatment for ADHD, only certain medical professionals can prescribe medication and perform thorough physical evaluations to rule out other possible causes of symptoms. These professionals are physicians (either medical doctor or doctor of osteopathy), nurse practitioners, and physician assistants under the supervision of a doctor.

Because ADHD treatment works best when including medication as well as other forms of treatment, it is important that all of the members of your treatment team communicate with each other on a regular basis.

Your Child's Health Care Team

If you suspect ADHD in your child, your child's doctor or psychologist may diagnose the condition.

Other members of the team may include nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, social workers, and other therapists (such as counselors and family therapists).

If your child needs medication, the prescription will be written by the doctor or nurse practitioner. The diagnostic process also should rule out any other disorders that may look like ADHD.

Adult Health Care Team

ADHD in adults is often diagnosed by the primary care doctor, a psychologist, or a psychiatrist.

For diagnosis of ADHD in adults, the doctor will need a history of the adult's behavior as a child. The doctor may also interview the patient's spouse/partner, parents, and friends, as well as looking at the person's past records, including report cards and transcripts, to determine if this behavior has been going on for a long time. The doctor may also use psychological testing.




WebMD Medical Reference

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)