Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Much fiber do you as an adult need?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 2:18 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 259 Total Views

Poll

Question: Studies show that we do not eat enough fiber. So how much do we need a day as an adult?

Options:

10 to 15 grams

15 to 20 grams

20 to 25 grams

25 to 30 grams

35 grams or higher

uncertain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 6

View Results

by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
EKMOM
by Group Owner on Jun. 20, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Why focus on fiber? Studies show that as a culture we do not eat enough fiber.Fiber is responsible for cleaning out our intestinal lining and our colon. By doing this fiber also helps in the absorption of important nutrients that otherwise would just pass through our bodies being unused. In recent studies, it has been shown that fiber is also a benefit in reducing cancers and fighting fatty buildup in the bloodstream. In other words fiber keeps the arteries clean. The best places to get fiber are found in vegetables, fruits and whole grains. I suggest not settling for less than 8 grams of fiber in a serving of cereal, or 3 grams in a slice of bread.

How much do you think you get a day? Just for today try an figure out how much fiber you are eating.

medium banana is 4 grams
medium apple is 4 grams
1 cup oatmeal is 4 grams
1/2 cup strawberries  is 2 grams
1 cup pineapple fresh is 2 grams

Not sure I can most likely help you figure it out. Fiber is the forgotten nutrient in our diets. Its not calcium or zinc, but fiber! Fiber is a vital ingrediant in the fight against many diseases. I read the book, "The breast Cancer Prevention Diet, " Guess what they said woman need to focus on? Fiber.

If we can focus ourselves on fiber intake, then it is a natural biproduct that our husbands and children will get more in their diets too.

Rene'  S.

Come visit my group! Learn how to keep your kids healthy. http://www.cafemom.com/group/healthykids 

EKMOM
by Group Owner on Jun. 22, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Fiber is the main ingrediant in how I have successfully lost all my prego weight after having a baby. At about one year after the birth of a baby I usually focus on loosing any additional weight that I need. Which is normally about 15 pounds. SoI give myself 60 days, but normally come close to my goal in 30. I do 1000 calorie diet and 40 grams of fiber a day. 90 oz of water, tons of fresh fruit, veggies. Plain yogurt. And I walk 30 minutes a day, and 15 minutes on my healthrider 3 times a week. As the above post tells fiber is a vital ingrediant to this plan. What are some of things you do to regain your pre prego weight?

Rene'  S.

Come visit my group! Learn how to keep your kids healthy. http://www.cafemom.com/group/healthykids 

EKMOM
by Group Owner on Nov. 15, 2007 at 7:45 PM
Going into the holidays we become more sedentary and we need to make extra sure that we are getting the right balance of nutrients. So I thought that I should post about the MOST forgotten nutrient in our diet. Fiber. I pulled this up from the archive, but we have so many new wonderful members that i thought that it should come for for topic again. Share with us what you think you get each day and how you get that much. What are some wonderful foods for autumn and winter that are fiber rich? can not wait to hear your comments.

Rene'  S.

Free Readings, dream interpretations, past life regression help and all the mysteries of the soul!  Check out http://www.cafemom.com/group/26085

lovellskt
by on Nov. 16, 2007 at 1:11 PM

You are absolutely right, fiber is VERY important.  And I have heard 35 grams is a good goal but 40 would be better.  I use fiber one.  1 cup gives me 28grams.  Plus eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies and eat whole grains! 

Take Care and God bless, Kristen Lovell Distributor, Juice Plus+ The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you. It's that they are so good for you they could save your life. By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October 20, 2003 www.staythecourse4health.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)