Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dangers of Trans-fats and MSG (monosodium glutamate)

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 6:37 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 294 Total Views
I posted this in the other post "Help! I need healthy snack ideas for two year olds" but I thought everyone may be interested, so I am posting it here too.

Many people don't know this stuff because the food industry doesn't want us to! Most Animal crackers (or cookies), most pretzels, alot of gummy fruit snacks (but not welchs I don't think), some multivitamins, most margarines (exect Smart Balance. That brand's a safe one), most cookies, most peanut butter, most saltines and other crackers, a whole lot of candies, etc... (this list could go on forever)... basically a great deal of processed foods all contain trans-fats.
Even though when you look at the label under fat content and it says zero trans-fats or if on the front of the box you read "no trans fats", they very well may still be there! You can tell if they are present by reading labels. This days it is so important to do so. If the label says: partially hydrogenated "anything" (by anything I mean a particular type of oil), hydrogenated "anything", hydrolyzed protiens, (and other names of which I cannot remember, but saw a list once by doing research)... these names signify trans-fats.
The reason so many food companies so readily put this in their processed foods is because it has virtually no shelf life and preserves the food. It acts in our bodies like plastic does in a landfill. Once it's there, it never leaves. Our bodies simply cannot digest it and this is a contributing factor to the rising obesity rates these days.
Another horrible thing to watch out for is MSG, or Monosodium Glutamate. This is actually glutamic acid (which, just as it sounds, is indeed a poison) and it preserves food and makes bad food taste good because
neurologically it causes people to experience a more intense flavor from the foods that they eat containing the substance. I don't want the food industries messing with MY neurological system! (see second link below to find out more about this)
 MSG is especially horrible for pregnant women and children but needs to be avoided by all! It causes ADD, and Autism in children and causes many many other things such as migranes, depression, anxiety, asthma, rappid heartbeat (taccychardia), etc... Some people are more sensitive to this than others and some people may not experience these symptoms but many do and don't even realize why.
MSG is found in most processed foods but is often listed in it's full name, Monosodium Glutamate. It is in alot of restaurant food as well,... especially asian foods. You can ask people in restaurants to find out if it is in their food and often they can make it without it. I know this because my grandmother is extremely sensitive to it (hopitalization if consumed) and so throughout growing up I experienced her always asking about it when we went out and having her food prepared without.
You can also find MSG in infant formula's, cosmetics, vaccines, etc...
This is getting long so I'm going to cut and paste some links you can follow yourself to find out more information on these subjects. The best thing we can all do is eat wholesome unprocessed foods as much as possible and always read labels when buying processed foods!!!

Here's a great website that lays out the info on MSG and at the bottom there are tons of links you can follow to find out more:
http://www.truthinlabeling.org/
Here's another link to a site talking about the dangers of MSG and this site is searchable on other subjects, such as trans-fats:
http://www.becomehealthynow.com/article/dietbad/32/
Here's one that talks about trans fats and this website is searchable and lists many other articles about trans fats, etc...
http://www.mercola.com/2003/jul/19/trans_fat.htm

I hope I was able to make a few people aware of some scary stuff they may not have known about otherwise. Also, I am only human so if I didn't get every detail just right, I appologize.
I'm sorry this got so long! Hope I didn't bore you all too much.
Leigh-Anna

by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
EKMOM
by Group Owner on Jun. 20, 2007 at 7:12 PM

I would like to your group of no no's.

Sodium nitrate or nitrite's: Found in meats and some cheeses, It causes cancer and a whole group of neurological problems. Its real use is not a presevative although thats what we use it for, its real use is to send rockets up into space and make explosives!

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: Found in shampoo, conditioner, person hygene products, toothpaste, liquid egg substitutes, whip cream, marshmellows, detergents, and some condiments. Because it has amino acids in it it goes throughthe blood brain barrier and can over load the brain cells causing neurological disorders and immunilogical disorders. This chemicals original use is in textile workings.

Propylene Glycol: Also used in personal hygene products and hair care,anti age creams, etc. It is also found in different foods such as margarine. It causes blindness, kidney and liver damage, nervouse system damage, drying of the skin and was found fatal to test animals. Its original use is in antifreeze. It is a solvant.

Propylparaben: This can be found in hygene products and hair care. It is also used in tomato paste, relishes, catsup, jellies, and other such foods. In tons of foods actually! It causes the cells of the body to not communicate, hindering human cell growth. Damages the liver, intestines and an fetus. Among other things. Its use is a presevative.

Ladies the list goes on and on! In my book that I am writing I am going to cover these four villans and many more. I am shocked at just how bad some of these are and the sad thing is even if you buy organic or from a wonderful natural company or even purchase things at your local health food store you will discover these chemical toxins and more.

I recently bought shampoo and conditioner at my local co-op and when I was showering discovered that some how I had missed that sodium lauryl sulfate was in the product I bought.

Just as sodium saccharine is in most toothpaste! You have to read lables and know your stuff in todays world. Hope the info helps.

Rene'  S.

Come visit my group! Learn how to keep your kids healthy. http://www.cafemom.com/group/healthykids 

LeiBa
by Member on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:31 PM

Quoting EKMOM:

I would like to your group of no no's.

Sodium nitrate or nitrite's: Found in meats and some cheeses, It causes cancer and a whole group of neurological problems. Its real use is not a presevative although thats what we use it for, its real use is to send rockets up into space and make explosives!

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: Found in shampoo, conditioner, person hygene products, toothpaste, liquid egg substitutes, whip cream, marshmellows, detergents, and some condiments. Because it has amino acids in it it goes throughthe blood brain barrier and can over load the brain cells causing neurological disorders and immunilogical disorders. This chemicals original use is in textile workings.

Propylene Glycol: Also used in personal hygene products and hair care,anti age creams, etc. It is also found in different foods such as margarine. It causes blindness, kidney and liver damage, nervouse system damage, drying of the skin and was found fatal to test animals. Its original use is in antifreeze. It is a solvant.

Propylparaben: This can be found in hygene products and hair care. It is also used in tomato paste, relishes, catsup, jellies, and other such foods. In tons of foods actually! It causes the cells of the body to not communicate, hindering human cell growth. Damages the liver, intestines and an fetus. Among other things. Its use is a presevative.

Ladies the list goes on and on! In my book that I am writing I am going to cover these four villans and many more. I am shocked at just how bad some of these are and the sad thing is even if you buy organic or from a wonderful natural company or even purchase things at your local health food store you will discover these chemical toxins and more.

I recently bought shampoo and conditioner at my local co-op and when I was showering discovered that some how I had missed that sodium lauryl sulfate was in the product I bought.

Just as sodium saccharine is in most toothpaste! You have to read lables and know your stuff in todays world. Hope the info helps.

Rene' S.

Come visit my group! Learn how to keep your kids healthy. http://www.cafemom.com/group/healthykids

Thanks for the additional input! About those parabens... such as propylparaben... there is also methylparaben and I think one or two more that are bad too. I'm not exactly sure what the others do but I would say it's similar to propylparaben. I use some of the brands from health food stores such as Jason's and Avalon on my daughter and I have also found that Dove does not use these (at least not the paraben's but I don't know about other possibly harmful ingredients I may not have been aware of). And I have seen for myself that healthfood stores do indeed carry products containing these ingredients plus other junk. So you're right... always read labels!
weazelchef
by Member on Jun. 24, 2007 at 3:05 PM
omigosh... how are we going to remember all this?

lol
EKMOM
by Group Owner on Jun. 24, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Quoting weazelchef:

omigosh... how are we going to remember all this?

lol

You made me laugh! My oldest daughter says that to me all the time! She was just over at her uncles house and was telling him something regarding health, oh it was about dehydrated papya spears, I gothim and his girls hooked on them so he found some cheaper than the ones I get at the co-op and Sam was pointing out all the toxin additives on the lable to him, he did not believe her. She told him,"I can't keep it all straight, mom is always telling us something about health, but I do know that there are bad things in that Papya." He read the lable and said she was right, Red dye 40, high fructose corn syrup and something else that he new from me to be bad.

Repetition is the mother of all learning! Sometimes you will just know something and be able to reguritate it and other times it will be like the story of Sam above. You know but you don't really know. So in moments like that stay clear  of all toxins!

Thats what I tell my kids and then I teach them some more. I make them lable shop and always ask them health questions.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)